Dank IPA, is this dank enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy_Sanchez

Reaction score
Hello fellow home brewers!

After brewing a Scottish Ale and a Wheat Ale (soon to be whatermelon wheat). I've decided to brew and IPA on the dank side. I want mild bitterness, pungent aroma, a great combo of earthiness, spicyness, citrus flavors. I really want this beer to smell and taste like some chronic ass top shelf cannabis. Here's the recipe I've came up with. Sticking with a FWH for bittering and doing 15,10,5,1 minute additions with a good dry hop addition.

Dank IPA

AVB 6.51%
OG 1.064
IBU 76.2
SRM 5.2

12.5 lb 2 row
12.8 oz carapils
4.8 oz c40 (for some color)

Clarification tablet 10 mins
2 tsp Wyeast nutrient 10 mins

FWH 1/2 oz Warrior
1 oz Simcoe 15 mins
1 oz Columbus 10 mins
1 oz Apollo 5 mins
1 oz chinook 5 mins
1 oz Centennial 1 min
1 oz Columbus 1 min

Contemplating on 1056 or wl090. All depends on packaging date.

Dry hop

1 oz Columbus 3 days
1 oz centennial 3 day
1 oz chinook 3 days

Going for 3 days on the dry hop. I've always done 5-7 days. I want to see what I get at 3 days. Definitely dry hop once the fermentation has calmed down. Usually within 4 days of pitching. Hoping to rack to keg after 12 days. Definitely after a good cold crash.

Going for dankness so please comment on what I could do to be dank. I need a quick turnover on this beer as well. Pouring it at a beer fest may 14. Just want a super fresh danky beer to showcase.

Moar hops, your varieties seem good though

Since I BIAB, I stick to 10lbs of grain total, I use 1lb of honey at flameout to help my gravity along with 3lbs of Pilsner dry extract. This ensures that dry finish with WLP 090.

On my system a typical IPA like this starts at 1.064 and finishes at 1.10 so around 7%, Bitter around 40 ibu at 60 minute charge, then 1oz at 15 and at 5. I then hop stand at flameout for 20 minutes with a mix of hops totaling 5oz. Dry hop with 4-6oz total in two separate additions, one in primary loose and one in the keg bagged. I tend to ferment in primary for 10 days (adding half the dry hops at day 6) at kegging I add the other half for 3 more days at room temp, so 13 days from brewing I'm crashing/carbonating the keg.

If cloudy I leave the bag in suspended with dental floss, if I use gelatin I remove the bag before adding gelatin.

I would dry hop longer, maybe 5 days and then do a second dry hop if you can with the same amount for 3-5 days. This can be done the second time in a dry hop keg if you keg? If you're going for in your face smell you really need a better dry hop and late hop addition schedule.

I would get rid of all hop additions in the boil except the FWH/60 minute and do them at flame out, this will increase hop flavor and aroma, or do something like this:

FWH 1/2 oz Warrior
1 oz Simcoe 0 mins
1 oz Columbus 0 mins
1 oz Apollo 0 mins

Flame out, cool to 180F and do a 30 minute hopstand with:

1 oz chinook
1 oz Centennial
1 oz Columbus

Cool to pitch temperature.

You can move the hops around however you prefer, I just kept them the same that you had them.

I just did a red resiny/dank IPA. These are the hops that come to mind when I am shooting for this type of hop character in order of most pungent:
- Apollo
- Columbus
- Summit (can also be more clean or garlicky depending on harvest year)
- comet (esp in dry hopping)
- EXP7270
- nelson sauvin
- galaxy
- simcoe (depending on freshness and harvest year
- chinook (when super fresh)
- citra (super fresh, but this could just be my taste interpretation of the cat pee thing)

id look into whirlpooling/hopstanding and up those late additions by a significant margin

I second m00ps on hops and whirlpool/hopstand. I've got an IIPA dry hopping right now and it's basically 50/50 citra and nelson. And I'm expecting/hoping it will be dank AF. Talked to someone else who did a 50/50 citra nelson and said it smelled like a pot shop. That's what I want. I knew I wanted to make a real dank, funky IIPA then I had Burial's Surf Wax IPA that is heavily hopped with Nelson so that's when I decided I wanted nelson.

This was my hop schedule for my last IPA, medium soft bitterness and a total citrus / stone fruit juice bomb with nice dank overtones. Swapping out your hop selection with a schedule like this should make a nice super dank IPA I would think.

Also I highly recommend the 3 day dry hop, I'm finding you get a LOT more dank aroma from shorter dry hopping times.

OG 1.069

.25 oz Warrior® (17.3%) - 60m
1.11 oz NZ Galaxy (14.6%) - 10.0 m
.5 oz Citra™ (13.4%) - 10.0m
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin (11.5%) - 10.0m
1 oz NZ Galaxy (14.6%) - Whirlpool 30m @ 170º
1 oz Citra™ (13.4%) - Whirlpool 30m @ 170º
1 oz Nelson Sauvin (11.5%) - Whirlpool 30m @ 170º
2.5 oz Citra™ (13.4%) - Dry Hop 3 Days
1.5 oz Nelson Sauvin (11.5%) - Dry Hop 3 Days

Not sure about this combo but my last IPA I used Summit, Columbus, and EXP 7270. It is very dank and grapefruity.

These are the hops I have in stock in my freezer. I also have Amarillo, cascade, bravo, and nugget. Just thought my hop selection would be on the dank level. I'm using Apollo to get that grapefruityness.

Moar hops, your varieties seem good though

Since I BIAB, I stick to 10lbs of grain total, I use 1lb of honey at flameout to help my gravity along with 3lbs of Pilsner dry extract. This ensures that dry finish with WLP 090.

On my system a typical IPA like this starts at 1.064 and finishes at 1.10 so around 7%, Bitter around 40 ibu at 60 minute charge, then 1oz at 15 and at 5. I then hop stand at flameout for 20 minutes with a mix of hops totaling 5oz. Dry hop with 4-6oz total in two separate additions, one in primary loose and one in the keg bagged. I tend to ferment in primary for 10 days (adding half the dry hops at day 6) at kegging I add the other half for 3 more days at room temp, so 13 days from brewing I'm crashing/carbonating the keg.

If cloudy I leave the bag in suspended with dental floss, if I use gelatin I remove the bag before adding gelatin.

Sounds like a great IPA. I definitely want to do a double dry hop when I have the time and carboy space. Currently I only have 2 carboys to work with and they tend to stay full.

I guess I could lean more to 0 minute additions and let them steep and dump about 5 oz total of dry hop.

Maybe even

1/2 oz warrior fwh
1 oz simcoe 15
1 oz Apollo 5
1.5 oz ea Ctz, chinook, & centennial 0 min

Dry hop 5 oz total of ctz, chinook & centennial 3-5 days

Still using around the same amount of hops just in a different time frame.
Also I've read most commercial breweries are dry hopping for 3 days.

I just did a red resiny/dank IPA. These are the hops that come to mind when I am shooting for this type of hop character in order of most pungent:
- Apollo
- Columbus
- Summit (can also be more clean or garlicky depending on harvest year)
- comet (esp in dry hopping)
- EXP7270
- nelson sauvin
- galaxy
- simcoe (depending on freshness and harvest year
- chinook (when super fresh)
- citra (super fresh, but this could just be my taste interpretation of the cat pee thing)

id look into whirlpooling/hopstanding and up those late additions by a significant margin

Great info. Yea I'm still tweaking w the recipe. I have enough hops on hand to up the amount. Thanks

I would dry hop longer, maybe 5 days and then do a second dry hop if you can with the same amount for 3-5 days. This can be done the second time in a dry hop keg if you keg? If you're going for in your face smell you really need a better dry hop and late hop addition schedule.

I would get rid of all hop additions in the boil except the FWH/60 minute and do them at flame out, this will increase hop flavor and aroma, or do something like this:

FWH 1/2 oz Warrior
1 oz Simcoe 0 mins
1 oz Columbus 0 mins
1 oz Apollo 0 mins

Flame out, cool to 180F and do a 30 minute hopstand with:

1 oz chinook
1 oz Centennial
1 oz Columbus

Cool to pitch temperature.

You can move the hops around however you prefer, I just kept them the same that you had them.

I've never done just 0 min additions. I may consider this. Just for the experience. I'm so use to doing hop additions from 15 mins to 0. I'm probably going to make the dry hop addition a total of 5 oz instead of 3.

I second m00ps on hops and whirlpool/hopstand. I've got an IIPA dry hopping right now and it's basically 50/50 citra and nelson. And I'm expecting/hoping it will be dank AF. Talked to someone else who did a 50/50 citra nelson and said it smelled like a pot shop. That's what I want. I knew I wanted to make a real dank, funky IIPA then I had Burial's Surf Wax IPA that is heavily hopped with Nelson so that's when I decided I wanted nelson.

I definitely want the cannabis club aroma slap in the face.

So far thanks for all the replies it's has opened my mind for more flame out and host stand additions. A local brewery where i live mainly does 0 and whirlpool additions. Large amounts and not dry hopping. Very dank IPAs.

Ok so most of these hops are all late additions.
So not much need for the added malt/gravity.
Not sure I have a brewed an IPA this way.
Maybe I would consider all of mine as Imperial IPA then?

Back