Czech Pisner Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BION, The best Bo Pils I have ever made was with S-23 fermented very cold

+1. I have made two excellent 2B beers, both with S-23 and very soft water. One fermented cold (48-ish, until it petered out around 1.028 at which point I warmed it up and it finished well) and one fermented warm (57-ish) and they both were really good.

To the OP, if this is your first or one of your first lagers, go ahead and used two packages of S-23 rehydrated and pitched/fermented in the low-to-mid 50's. It will work very well. If you are SURE you can pitch enough yeast, go ahead and use liquid with a big starter fermented at room temperature, then chilled and decanted. Use www.mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com to figure out how big your starter should be. You will not want to pitch the whole thing in this case. Don't be afraid to use the dry yeast, it is a really good option if you are a bit nervous about brewing lagers.

You can get S-23 to ferment VERY cold... I think the trick is a slow drop in temp while ferm is happening... start it somewhere between 50 and 60 and drop a couple degrees, 5 max, per day. I have actually had active ferments with S-23 as low as 35F. I imagine if you tried to ramp down too fast it would stall

Back