Czech Pilsner - Amarillo dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just made a 2.5 gallon batch of Czech Pilsner with Bohemian Pilsner Malt and some Carafoam using all Czech Saaz hop. I'm considering a small dry hop of Amarillo - maybe .25 - .5 oz.

Thoughts on this? Would it blend nicely or could it ruin a good pilsner?

never. It's actually my first lager since I now have a chest freezer

But I like to dabble and hoppy ales are my favorite. I don't mind if it doesn't taste like a classic pilsner but I don't want to ruin it.

I would stick to your guns on this one to see how it comes out and if you like the recipe, your process, etc. One less variable to mess with your judgement.

Next go round, if this is a good recipe, I would say go for it.

How's your O2 process? Since this will need to lager a while, I wouldn't risk a dry hop unless you're sure you can do it with minimal risk of oxidation...If you're confident you can minimize O2 pickup during the dry hop , then go for it :).

I love Amarillo but personally I would say no! Might ruin the more subtle aspects of the beer. It would be kind of like showing up to see Yo-Yo Ma with a mullet and a Metallica t-shirt.

Thanks for the replies. Will probably leave as is since it's for a family get together. Maybe a hop tea to add to a glass or jug later to get an idea how it blends.

Thanks for the replies. Will probably leave as is since it's for a family get together. Maybe a hop tea to add to a glass or jug later to get an idea how it blends.
That really sounds like your best idea! You get to taste the original recipe but you can still try the variant you want without risking messing up a good portion of the brew! Please be sure to report back with how it turned out!

Love Amarillo, probably one of my favorite, but agree it might not mesh well with what you got going on. The beer sounds delicious.

I'm a fan of Amarillo in a blonde, pale ale or IPA, but it's neither Czech nor pilsner, so I'd leave it out. The Saaz will be just fine.

Going through the comments and deciding not to add the Amarillo to the pilsner - that's exactly what I was thinking of doing next - a blonde ale with amarillo :)

Back