Cuttings or Rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
First year grower here. I planted 4 different rhizomes this year and all are doing fine I might get several hundred cones from them this year .......... which probably is only a few ounces!!!!

I want to get a second plant of 3 of them, so I can grow them either side of an arch.

Which would be the best way to get the second plant; rooting a cutting now, or waiting until next year and taking some root stock?

If I take some root stock next year from a 1 year plant, will it affect the performance of the established plant?

If I do cuttings now, would I plant them out this year, and will it come up fine in spring?

Or would a completely new rhizome be the best thing to do next year?

I would buy a rhizome. I can't imagine cutting the roots of a plant that hasn't been in the ground for a year is a good idea.

The only time I would cut if you're considering that as the only option would be next year so the plant has time to get established to winter and start growing next year.

I did a test. I took a vine cutting and placed it in a jar of tap water, one week roots started. Placed the samecutting in a pot with soil. A weeklater new vines were growing. So depending how this will go through the winter. I will wrap the pot or stick in the ground and put straw or some insulation if there is no snowfall.

When you trim off the side growth you can use that to root new cuttings. 4" plus pieces work fine under mist or under a clear storage tote.

Whatever you do, don't buy another rhizome.

I'll second OleBrewing's anecdote – I stuck a handful of cuttings (clipped-off extra sprouted bines once I'd picked the main ones to train) in water, they sprouted roots, took well to soil in pots, and climbed all over my man-cave. If I'd had anything to possibly do with them (I live in a condo; space on my deck, rather than available plants, is my limiting factor), I'm sure they would've done great the following year.

Now, that being said, if you want to grow the same varieties from rhizomes (especially if your plants aren't still sending up shoots you can let grow for a bit then clip), you're much better off just digging some up from your current plants. Bury the bottom-most foot of a bine after you harvest instead of cutting all the way back to the soil, mark the ends, and transplant it in the spring – you'll have a much bigger rhizome than you'd be able buy, and if you take the soil around it with it, it'll even be pre-rooted.

Thanks.

Seems that if I can get cuttings to take, it would be the best way

I took a couple of cuttings of Cascade, and set them in a pot yesterday with some rooting hormone powder. Almost looks like they are growing already, but it is probably just from taking up water.

I have a Centennial cutting in some water to see what happens.

My Chinook has no side shoots to take. It almost died earlier due to poor drainage from a pot. I put it in the ground, and after a while, side shoots started; i think my 2 main shoots are actually side shoots - they are about 12 ft, with quite a few flowers on them. I might take the suggestion of laying down one of the main shoots in soil after picking the hops, and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back