Culturing yeast from a commercial bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmenges

Reaction score
I'm going to be making Orfy's Old Speckled Hen recipe next weekend and I wanted to try to use the same yeast that they use at the brewery. As an experiment I went out and got a bottle conditioned Hen's Tooth from a local beverage center on Wednesday for a trial run culturing the yeast. It turned out great and I have a good amount of yeast ready to go!

My question is this: I will not be brewing this recipe for another week. Is it possible to take the yeast and somehow save it until then or should I just do the same thing again this upcoming Wednesday?

I'd leave the current starter in the fridge until the day before brew day. Then decant the clear liquid, and make a fresh starter with the slurry and a fresh supply of 1.040 wort. By the time you are ready to pitch, the starter should be fermenting well, and be really happy to be introduced to 5 gallons or so of lovely wort.

-a.

Agreed, the starter will be fine in the fridge for a week until you pull it out and revive it with some fresh wort

Latest posts

Back