Culturing and Banking Yeast with Petri Plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mciccone

Reaction score
I know some folks culture and bank yeast, so I thought I would forward this along.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZCBCVO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yeast Peptone Dextrose (YPD) Agar is used for maintaining and propagating yeasts in molecular microbiology procedures. YPD Media are recommended for the rapid growth of yeasts, particularly Saccharomyces cerevisiae, used for molecular research. YPD Agar contains peptone as a source of carbon, nitrogen, vitamins and minerals. Yeast extract supplies B-complex vitamins which stimulate bacterial growth. Dextrose is the carbohydrate source. YPD Agar contains agar as the solidifying agent. YPD can be used for many industries including fermentation, baking, and bioremediation. The brewing and winemaking industries have found it useful in yeast banking and/or streaking out wild yeasts/bacteria.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make my own. It's not really all that hard and probably costs less than half of what they're charging. Plus it's fun! Though if you don't want to bother that's probably a decent price.

Made my first plates this year. Have 2 samples so far. The nice ladies in our lab at the hospital taught me streaking technique

I make my own. It's not really all that hard and probably costs less than half of what they're charging. Plus it's fun! Though if you don't want to bother that's probably a decent price.

Based upon the last set of plates I made, it runs about 20% more in cost. This is not a bad deal if you don't like making your own plates.

I know some folks culture and bank yeast, so I thought I would forward this along.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZCBCVO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yeast Peptone Dextrose (YPD) Agar is used for maintaining and propagating yeasts in molecular microbiology procedures. YPD Media are recommended for the rapid growth of yeasts, particularly Saccharomyces cerevisiae, used for molecular research. YPD Agar contains peptone as a source of carbon, nitrogen, vitamins and minerals. Yeast extract supplies B-complex vitamins which stimulate bacterial growth. Dextrose is the carbohydrate source. YPD Agar contains agar as the solidifying agent. YPD can be used for many industries including fermentation, baking, and bioremediation. The brewing and winemaking industries have found it useful in yeast banking and/or streaking out wild yeasts/bacteria.

It's a little dishonest to shill for your own company without some disclosure.

BTW, I make my own plates in a pressure canner with agar and malt extract. Pretty easy if you have the stuff already. Buying is easier of course :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Based upon the last set of plates I made, it runs about 20% more in cost. This is not a bad deal if you don't like making your own plates.

I ran some numbers and my cost per plate is about $0.25. Compared to paying $2.69 a plate from the link above and you can see there is quite a cost savings. I am intrigued by the vacuum sealing, will have to try that one of these times.

Back