Culligan Water Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieG

Reaction score
So I just got up from my desk at work to get some water, and I see the Culligan Water Bottle (5 gal) is a number 1, not a number 7. Do I take it and use as a secondary? Thoughts?

Not saying don't use it - your system may be different - but the water bottles we have here at work are returned to the distributor who then gives us more water. When there's 3 empty bottles, they give us 3 full ones. Once those bottles start going missing, you're going to be getting less and less water per delivery.

Will a regular carboy airlock fit on that water bottle? i.e. is the neck/opening the same as a better bottle?

Question of morals. Your company that you work for pays a deposit on those bottles. If the bottle is not there when they bring more water then it is less water for you and your coworkers to drink, and your company looses the deposit. wouldn"t this be the same as with a keg? Your company may also consider this as stealing company property since they do have a deposit on it. Is it worth your job to save $25 - $30?

Will a regular carboy airlock fit on that water bottle? i.e. is the neck/opening the same as a better bottle?

I don't know aobut the better bottles since I use glass carboys, but the regular airlock stopper won't fit in there since the culligan bottles have a wider opening. Around here, you can get those culligan bottles for 4-7 bucks.

I borrowed one from work to get some reverse osmosis from the grocery store for a brew, and my boss said, "bring that back by friday, cause they charge me $25 if you don't"
So, even if there is no deposit, they get charged for "lost" bottles.

edit-every time i see those empty bottles makes me want to fill them with wort. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Back