Crystal 120 and Crystal 70/80?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhat

Reaction score
Hey folks. Ran in to a bit of an unavoidable problem...

So I went to my Homebrew shop (sadly the only one in the freakin' city) and asked if they had any Crystal 120. They didn't, but they do have Crystal 70/80 and I ended up getting it.

The question is, my recipe calls for about 1.5lbs of Crystal 120. Should I use less or more of the 70/80 to get somewhat the same effect?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry if it's a basic question. I'm pretty new to this and am worried that if I use the same measurements it would taste awful.

What is the rest of the recipe? You should be fine though. The number 70/80/120/etc is a measure of the color due to roasting. The higher then number the darker and stronger flavors. Low numbers will be mild and sweet and impart less color. Higher numbers will have stronger caramel flavors and impart more color.

Eep sorry! The recipe is:

11.5 pounds pale two-row malt
1.5 pounds crystal 120
1.25 oz chinook pellets (12.5 aa%) (15.6 AAUs) @ 90 min
1.0 oz chinook pellets (12.5 AAUs) @ 30 min
0.5 oz chinook pellets (6.25 AAUs) @ flame out
1 tsp Irish moss
California Ale Yeast

Place crushed grains in water and steep at 155 degrees for 60 minutes. Boil for 90 minutes, adding the hops according to schedule. Add Irish Moss last 5 minutes of the boil. Cool wort and pitch yeast. Primary ferment at about 68 F for 7 to 10 days. Secondary fermentation optional.

As a secondary question, I'm assuming that after I steep the grains for 60mins I take them out?

By the looks of some of the responses, it looks like I should maybe add more in. Would using the whole 2lb package work?

Adding more C80 wont give you a similar flavors as c120. I would just go with the 1.5lbs of c70/80 for the recipe, it should still turn out very good. Adding more crystal malt would probably throw the balance of the beer off. The recipe almost looks like an Arrogant Bastard clone. Good luck.

bierhaus, it actually is, although I'm adding a few different things. The yeast for one and I've decided to throw in some Cascade Hops at the end for aroma's sake. I'm thinking of calling it Audacious *****.

Thank you so much!

Back