cryo hops/lupulin powder dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought I'd try to get a little discussion going about the new cry hops, LupulN2, lupulin powder that is available now. Has anyone used it? Used it in a recipe you usually do with pellets? what do you think? how do they compare?

I bought some simcoe, citra, and mosaic, but haven't used them yet. They are in the freezer until next month when I'll be brewing my IPA. Very interested to hear about anyone else's experiences with them in the meantime!

I have not but talked to a few pro brewers who have used it. Seems like they are liking it more as a dry hop or a combination of a dry hop then stand alone. May want to think of a combination normal pellet hopping schedule on the hot side and incorporate the powder on cold side. I guess the compounds in them are the volatile type that go away quickly with heat.

I have not but talked to a few pro brewers who have used it. Seems like they are liking it more as a dry hop or a combination of a dry hop then stand alone. May want to think of a combination normal pellet hopping schedule on the hot side and incorporate the powder on cold side. I guess the compounds in them are the volatile type that go away quickly with heat.

I was thinking of using them in the dry hop and *maybe* in the keg. I thought maybe they would taste good as a keg hop. I usually don't like pellets in the keg, but I think that is mostly b/c of the vegetal character they can give in the keg.

I have done an all mosaic recently and have to say it awesome! I used them all in the whirlpool 4 oz and 2 oz dry hop all powder. I used panty hose for the dry hop as the particle powder does not settle well in cool liquid.

I also grabbed citra simcoe and eukanot which are fermenting away

I have done an all mosaic recently and have to say it awesome! I used them all in the whirlpool 4 oz and 2 oz dry hop all powder. I used panty hose for the dry hop as the particle powder does not settle well in cool liquid.

I also grabbed citra simcoe and eukanot which are fermenting away

Did you halve your usual pellet amounts (8 oz and 4 oz TO 4 oz and 2 oz) for this?

Some discussion on lupulin powder from the man himself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vv4aw1wreY

Thanks! I had forgotten how much he liked it in the whirlpool vs the dry hop. I do notice that the Alchemist beers have the most intense, resinous hop FLAVOR of any beers I've had I think. Very intense. Maybe the lupulin in the "whirl" is a good thing to play with too.

Thanks! I had forgotten how much he liked it in the whirlpool vs the dry hop. I do notice that the Alchemist beers have the most intense, resinous hop FLAVOR of any beers I've had I think. Very intense. Maybe the lupulin in the "whirl" is a good thing to play with too.

Cheers! I thoroughly enjoy his videos. FWIW most of the brewers I have spoken with like to combine the powder and pellets. Larger yields on commercial systems since the powder goes twice as far as pellets in theory. Not sure if I have had a 100% lupulin powder beer yet.

Cheers! I thoroughly enjoy his videos. FWIW most of the brewers I have spoken with like to combine the powder and pellets. Larger yields on commercial systems since the powder goes twice as far as pellets in theory. Not sure if I have had a 100% lupulin powder beer yet.

Yeah, I also like them, fun to see his enthusiasm for good beer. His crazy eyes crack me up too. If it comes down to an issue of price, it would be much easier for homebrewers to just switch to powder if it is better. I'm sure that would be cost prohibitive for most breweries.

Any updates? I just got four oz each of citra and mosaic lupuln2 pellets. Have a citra/2 row smash fermenting now that I think I'll hit with the cryo hops. I did kind of a funky hops schedule, with .5oz FWH, .5 @30, 1oz at 15 and 1oz whirlpool. OG was 1.055. I was planning 2-3 oz regular pellets in the dry hop...think 2 oz cryo would be overkill?

Any updates? I just got four oz each of citra and mosaic lupuln2 pellets. Have a citra/2 row smash fermenting now that I think I'll hit with the cryo hops. I did kind of a funky hops schedule, with .5oz FWH, .5 @30, 1oz at 15 and 1oz whirlpool. OG was 1.055. I was planning 2-3 oz regular pellets in the dry hop...think 2 oz cryo would be overkill?

Heck no, cryo that and post the results!:rockin:

Hi everyone - I am brewing a NEIPA tomorrow and using the Citra cryo-hops from YCH. My understanding is that it is in a powder form and I was planning on doing a double dry-hop where I just add it to the keg as I transfer. My question is, will that jam up the tap? I can handle pouring out the first couple of glasses and I want some hop haze and turbidity. I figure that I probably cannot use my Arbor keg hop filter since the powder might be too fine? Anyone have experience with this?

Hi everyone - I am brewing a NEIPA tomorrow and using the Citra cryo-hops from YCH. My understanding is that it is in a powder form and I was planning on doing a double dry-hop where I just add it to the keg as I transfer. My question is, will that jam up the tap? I can handle pouring out the first couple of glasses and I want some hop haze and turbidity. I figure that I probably cannot use my Arbor keg hop filter since the powder might be too fine? Anyone have experience with this?

I'm wondering about this too... More so about peoples experience.

I was told to add it at flame-out or during whirlpool, or your in hopback.

I just bought Cascade, Citra, Mosiac and Ekuanot. All are super high alpha acid. Ones as high as 24% AAU.

YCH's Website on Cryo-Hops

YCH Press Release

APPLICATION AND USAGE

LupuLN2 may be used anywhere pellet hops can be used and are best used for late kettle and dry hop additions. As a starting point for recipe formulation or modification dose rate is estimated at 50% of pellets by weight. It is best used in beers defined by their hop flavor and aroma with hop loads of at least 1 lb/bbl in late kettle or dry hop additions where a larger yield increase will occur from substituting out pellets or whole leaf.

APPLICATION AND USAGE

Debittered Leaf may be used anywhere pellet hops can be used. It is best used for kettle additions where it can be separated in the whirlpool trub. When formulating recipes the alpha content of the lot should be used to calculate bittering as would be done for whole leaf or pellet hops. It’s best used in beer styles with mild bitterness and pleasant but not dominant hop flavors and aromas. Because of the low alpha content Debittered Leaf is a good choice for sour beer production because it will have a minimal effect on lactic acid bacteria while contributing polyphenols, glycosides and flavonoids typical of low alpha hops. Some brewers have found success using Debittered Leaf in the mash to aid runoff and contribute antioxidants on the theory they will limit mash oxidation.

Download 1

Download 2

This gives an example for usage. The example is for Double IPA. If you use normal pellets at a rate 1lb /bbl then use the "Cryo-LupulN2" at 0.5lb /bbl.

1lb = 16 oz, 1/2 lb = 8 oz, 1 bbl = 31 gal.

So;

8 oz / 31 gal

8/31 =0.258 oz/gal

Roughly 1.25 oz for 5 gal batch.

At $5.50 an oz, I'll be happy with 1 oz in my corny keg. They're never really over 5 more often slightly under 5 gal. Racking losses, sampling and what not.

Where is everyone getting this stuff at?

Your LHBS. Looks like this... at least the four I picked up do. And yes its powder for easy hop extraction.

ych-hops-cryo-hop-pellets-citra-1-oz-us.jpg

C_E4OF8XYAYxOwn.jpg

I brewed a NE IPA with some Simcoe and Mosaic Cryo plus a couple of others, non Cryo. The Cryo hops were all in the whirlpool and dry hop. I will say, they smell amazing. I was really hoping to have less trub by using the Cryo instead of double the regular hops. All-in-all, I will be using these again.

So I brewed with the Citra cryohops this weekend. Really great smelling stuff! They are in pellet form, but more brown/yellow than pellet hops. I added them for a hop stand for an hour and I'm planning on doing two dry hop additions.

It smelled more "smooth" if that makes sense; no grassy or harsher vegetative smell. And a lot less trub. I'm looking forward to this one!

I have an IPA in the fermenter, just waiting to dry hop with cryo hops, 1 oz. simcoe and 1 oz. ekuanot. I already did 1 oz. of cascade cryo hops at flameout. I did bitter with regular Magnum pellets instead of cryo hops.

My home brew supplier had an IPA on tap with Citra cryo. He used it at 100% of the hop additions. Had a ton of fruit flavor without a lot of bitterness. Even my wife liked it! I immediately bought some and will add it at whirlpool and dry hop. They went at 50% of the normal addition weights.

Hi,

Just thought I'd try to get a little discussion going about the new cry hops, LupulN2, lupulin powder that is available now. Has anyone used it? Used it in a recipe you usually do with pellets? what do you think? how do they compare?

I am on my third brew using the powder lupulin and I really like it. When they say start with half your hop bill they mean it. I just finished my MAG Pale Ale and decided to use the full compliment of Hops but only in the new cryo lupulin powder and well, now I have a MAG IPA for sure. Very high aroma and fruit forward citrus flavors especially lemon and orange peel but then I am only using at the moment centennial and citra and cascades. I have not noticed any prolonged aroma or bitters in the bottle over regular Hops just all in all much brighter on all facets. The one thing I like as well is when I whirlpool they stack nicely and do t end up in my fermenter in excess but what does immediately settles out and before crashing I purge that out.

interesting to see all the confusion and mixed messaging on how to use this product.

it's simply the hop oils that have been separated from the flower. due to the high cost, logic would dictate that this should be reserved for dry hopping.

So I brewed with the Citra cryohops this weekend. Really great smelling stuff! They are in pellet form, but more brown/yellow than pellet hops. I added them for a hop stand for an hour and I'm planning on doing two dry hop additions.

It smelled more "smooth" if that makes sense; no grassy or harsher vegetative smell. And a lot less trub. I'm looking forward to this one!

So the cryo hops are pellitized? Anyone using the ones from farmhouse?

I brewed 3 hoppy beers this weekend experimenting with CryoHops for the first time. I was under the impression dry hopping would be more difficult because the powder floats on the top of the wort, but commercial brewers can recirculate their fermenters. Homebrewers can use a marble.

That said my recipes were adjusted and mainly focused on using CryoHops late only and whirlpool only. I made the following beers:

1. Chug The Sunshine (Sip clone) 8% abv - replacing pellet 3oz of 5 min, and 3oz of whirlpool with CryoHops. I used 2oz CryoHop for each instead. Dry hopping is 3oz of Citra - I have 2oz of CryoHop left unopened. I should go for the dry CryoHop, right? :)
Or may blend 50/50 pellet.

2. Bissmissle IPA, 6% abv using a bittering pellet hop charge of about 50 IBU, I then went whirlpool only for the flavor and aroma additions with CryHops. 2oz each of Mosaic, Citra, Ekuanot (6oz total) whirpooled for 20 minutes.
I'm wondering if I should skip dry hop just to see what that mega huge WP addition did for the beer.
Thoughts?

3. Not a CryoHop beer, but I made a NEIPA with all Nelson Sauvignon hops. 4oz whirlpool addition, 4oz dry hop addition planned.

Will try to come report back on my results!

~Adam

I use citra Lupullin powder quite often and love it. Both whirlpool and dry hop with it. I find better results when whirlpooling at around 140.

The best beer was in a 9.02%, at first there was a little burn which I associated to the lupullin powder, but in about a week it went away, while kegged and in the fridge. here is that recipe:
15 lbs pale 2 row
1 lbs Biscuit
1 lbs corn sugar (dextrose)

1 oz apollo FWH
20 min 1 oz Centennial
20 min 1 oz Chinook
2 min 5ml Centennial co2 extract hop oil
0 min 1.5 oz Galaxy
0 min 1.5 oz Denali

140 degree hop stand 20 min with Lupulin Powder (Citra)

5 days 1.5 galaxy
5 days 1.5 Denali
4 days 1 oz lupullin Lupulin powder (Citra)
1 oz Crystal Hop hash

Yeast = Super healthy starter of Conan, fermented at 65 degrees.

Any challenge getting these hops to incorporate into the whirlpool or as dry hop?

I got some from a Country Malt Group rep at a festival back at the beginning of June. The sample I got wasn't pelletized, but the subsequent ones I've bought through my LHBS have been pelletized. I imagine the pelletized version would sink just fine, but the rep said the non-pelletized version could be challenging to use for dry hopping because it had a tendency to float. I played around with it in the form of a tincture. I used a small glass vial topped up with vodka, then shook the hell out of it for a few days. Once it was fully wetted, floating was not an issue, so just a heads up if you run into issues with it floating.

I messed up on my last order and forgot to order some for my DH:smack:

Back