cryo hops/lupulin powder dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The YCH cryo Simcoe I used post-boil last Sunday was pelletized, and I've been using it to dry hop that batch this week. I'm interested in how they do their thing, first time for me.
fwiw I always use whole cones in sanitized muslin bags for keg hopping, much easier than mucking about with pellet mush...

Cheers!

I’ve never keg hopped except with my last batch that I made using my homegrown hops. I added an oz of centennial to my keg for good measure.

For this batch I plan on DH on day 1.5. Kegging with 6 pts left with Cryo Hops in a bag. Hopefully I reduce O2 by kegging earlier.

Has anyone just added them free floating to a Keg for Dry Hop? Do they settle out quickly or do you get little bits of hops in your brew for the whole keg? Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone just added them free floating to a Keg for Dry Hop? Do they settle out quickly or do you get little bits of hops in your brew for the whole keg? Has anyone tried this?
Did two days ago. Keg has a 300 micron tube around the dip tube. We will see what happens this weekend when I tap that keg

Did two days ago. Keg has a 300 micron tube around the dip tube. We will see what happens this weekend when I tap that keg
I usually use this large stainless steel tea ball to dry hop in the keg. Typically using whole hops.

cbc4d58cb22f021488486b096ee7560c.jpg

It just barely fits the keg opening so it's got lots of whole hops in it...

tapatalk_1523199449625.jpeg

I think with pellets this is probably better to use this. Which I don't have yet. (See image below.)

I'd be concerned the fine mesh around the dip tube would eventually get clogged.

I'm making another beer NEIPA with cascade pellet and cascade cryo pellet whirlpooled, and citra whole hopped in the keg.

100pcs-set-stainless-steel-mesh-tea-ball.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I use. I love it but have only used it for cryo hops. I push out starsan with CO2 and open lid quickly, dump cryo hops in and close. Then I rack through dip tube with the pressure relief valve cracked open. Only thing I've noticed is that the serving pressure flow is slower with the screen. I wouldn't use any other method to dry hop

http://scottjanish.com/my-favorite-way-to-dry-hop-loose-in-primary-and-kegs/

Beer is on tap, works great, some fine dust in first few hours, all good now. Still some hop burn, think i shook it a tad tapping. Prob settle out by next week. Definitely different than same beer, no dry hop in keg. Fruiter more aroma. I used 3 oz of luplin powder, 1 each of Simcoe, mosiac, citra

Lots of great info thanks!
Doing a mosaic smash 2weeks into fermentation.

Dry hopping with 2OZ CRYO.

Are the risks of vegetative off notes more or less of an issue with cryo hops if I dry hop >10days ??

thx for any advice. Going to out of town and wanted to get hops in primary during the second/third week of fermentation.

Based on my limited experience with cryo hop pellets I would say you would get less vegetative off-flavors.
I use the cryo in small batches (2-2.5 gallons) especially when I do short boils.
Reduced boil (or even no-boil extract batches) require more hops. Cryo allows me to use less hops pellets so I have less hop mess in a smaller fermenter.

Lots of great info thanks!
Doing a mosaic smash 2weeks into fermentation.

Dry hopping with 2OZ CRYO.

Are the risks of vegetative off notes more or less of an issue with cryo hops if I dry hop >10days ??

thx for any advice. Going to out of town and wanted to get hops in primary during the second/third week of fermentation.
I had an oz of Citra Cryo hops in the keg and never had any green veggie flavors. In fact it was super juicy

I had an oz of Citra Cryo hops in the keg and never had any green veggie flavors. In fact it was super juicy

I love that. I found even citra whole hops in a large tea ball as an easy way to add hops to a keg. This tea ball is the size of a tennis ball, so you can pack in a lot of hops. It just barely fits the manhole.

tapatalk_1523199449625.jpeg

I love that. I found even citra whole hops in a large tea ball as an easy way to add hops to a keg. This tea ball is the size of a tennis ball, so you can pack in a lot of hops. It just barely fits the manhole.

View attachment 567330
That's a great idea! Did you pick it up off of amazon?

The first time that I used them I just added them directly to the keg with no filtration. I would get a poppet clogged every now and then. However, I did get a lot of material in my glasses throughout the life of the keg, but somehow I didn't get any hop burn. It was like an overripe tropical fruit, quite good in my opinion.

Why not just remove the poppet from the QD and the keg outpost? I've removed both when I had a lot of hop residue in my kegs. It blasts out the beer with no clogging.

That's a great idea! Did you pick it up off of amazon?

The first time that I used them I just added them directly to the keg with no filtration. I would get a poppet clogged every now and then. However, I did get a lot of material in my glasses throughout the life of the keg, but somehow I didn't get any hop burn. It was like an overripe tropical fruit, quite good in my opinion.

I got mine at Wal-Mart or Target. Using whole hops you get no particulates. Nothing clogs the pick up tube and the hop flavor is awesome.

I think these are at crate and barrel or bed, bath and beyond.

You can find these all over the web too. Just Google "large tea ball".

This is what I have to hop kegs.

609ee15c134a7ddc190306010ff35170--stainless-steel-mesh-tea-strainer.jpeg

Made beer last night with a fat tire grain bill, but hopped with all cascade.

9.5# M.O., 4oz of biscuit, 4oz of 10L, 4oz of 60L. Mashed low at 148F 75 minutes.

First wort hopped it with an oz cascade, then three late additions 15, 10, 5 all 1/3rd oz. At 8.4% AAU.

Then added at whirlpool; YCH Cryo Hops, LupuLN2. Cascade, 12.8% Alpha.
1/3oz @ 200F, 1/3oz @ 190F, 1/3oz @ 180. start chiller at 170F

Smelled like juicy grapefruit.[emoji1]

Last edited:
Back