Critique this methodology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
On my last couple AG brews I added flameout hops (pellets) and chilled then dumped the whole kit and kaboodle into the fermenter. At end of fermentation 21 days ish, I added gelatin and cold crashed then kegged. Beers turned out great IMO. Any disadvantadge to this technique? Just curious what others think.

That sounds fine, but it depends on what kind of beer you're making. If you use a real low flocculent yeast like wyeast Thames Valley or kolsch or saison or something, the yeast may not be done cleaning up the beer yet, and by adding gelatin, you will stop/hamper the fermentation process before it's done. Take a small sample and check the FG before you add gelatin and transfer from the fermental and cold crash to make sure it's done.

If you use a real low flocculent yeast ... and by adding gelatin, you will stop/hamper the fermentation process before it's done.

I think checking the final gravity is a good recommendation, but low flocculent yeast aren't going to have problems cleaning up beer since they stay in suspension. Especially given his 21 day primary, I wouldn't consider that to be an issue unless there is some other problem going on (stuck fermentation, etc)

I might be worried about a very flocculent strain not cleaning up a beer properly, but then, I wouldn't be using gelatin or other fining agents...

Oh, and as for the methodology? It sounds like a good KISS methodology. IMO, as long as you're happy with the results, nothing else matters.

I think checking the final gravity is a good recommendation, but low flocculent yeast aren't going to have problems cleaning up beer since they stay in suspension.

But that's the thing, see? Yeast don't work on a schedule. Have you ever used YEAST STRAIN: 3724 | Belgian Saison™? for example? It's notorious for taking over a month to finish out. If he uses gelatin at 21 days as a rule, gelatin binds to yeast and drops it out of solution before it has reached terminal gravity. 21 days is usually enough for most styles of beer, but I'd advise that you look at the yeast you're using and how it's progressing before throwing in finings.

I should have been more clear. 21 days is my minimum due to the fact I work offshore 14 days at a time so it is usually at least 21 days after brewing before I get back home and I usually brew the first week I am home. So it is at least 21 days before I am able to start taking hydrometer readings to determine if fermentation is complete. Related note, usually make pale ales, ambers, IPAs and use Nottingham yeast.

I guess more of what I was asking opinions on was that I wasn't whirlpooling and was letting everything go to the fermenter. Also wondering if I was in some way changing the hop profile by leaving all the Flame out hops in the wort when I fermented. Opinions?

I guess more of what I was asking opinions on was that I wasn't whirlpooling and was letting everything go to the fermenter. Also wondering if I was in some way changing the hop profile by leaving all the Flame out hops in the wort when I fermented. Opinions?

That's pretty much what I do- 10-14 days in the fermenter for most of my APAs and IPAs, dryhop right in the fermenter, and then keg. I don't use gelatin, but that's the only difference.

I don't really have a way to strain out pellet hops, so they all end up in the fermenter from the boil, except maybe for some extraordinarily thick sludge that stays at the bottom of the boil kettle.

I like the beer I produce so I am okay with my process. I just read of all this Whirlpooling, and cold break, etc, etc. thought maybe I was missing out on something.

But that's the thing, see? Yeast don't work on a schedule. Have you ever used YEAST STRAIN: 3724 | Belgian Saison™? for example? It's notorious for taking over a month to finish out. If he uses gelatin at 21 days as a rule, gelatin binds to yeast and drops it out of solution before it has reached terminal gravity. 21 days is usually enough for most styles of beer, but I'd advise that you look at the yeast you're using and how it's progressing before throwing in finings.

That's fair. There will be exceptions to the rule, but for most of the time 21 days will be safe.

Also, I don't get too fussy with cold breaks or whirlpooling either. I generally use a settling tank to eliminate some of the trub, and then pour through a mesh strainer to catch bigger particles (generally hop pellet pieces) but if anything does make it into the fermenter, I don't sweat it.

Back