Critique Basic Summer Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad2000

Reaction score
I should be brewing this on Sunday.

Summer Sunday Wheat
4lbs Maris Otter
4lbs White wheat
1lbs crystal 20
.5 Hallertauer 60,30,10min
Danstar Munich yeast

Its going to be a 60min boil and a BIAB.
I am debating if i should use my Ommegang yeast or stick with the Munich.
Any input would be great.

Oh i dont have a proper fermentation chamber (currently working on it)which is why i am thinking of the Belgian Ommegang yeast.
It get into the 80's in my condo.

If it's 80's in the condo, the Belgian yeast could hit the 90's. I'd highly recommend some sort of swamp cooler and/or water bath to keep temps down. It's worth the effort.

I will be using a swamp cooler but my most recent batch has been a pain with switching out the ice packs. I would just put the bucket in the rubbermaid bin, fill with water and wrap the towel. no fan.

Are you trying to make any particular style of wheat beer? The recipe as is will be a light amber color from the Maris Otter and a pound of Crystal 20- which may or may not be a concern. I personally haven't used the Munich yeast so I can't comment on its performance. Is the other yeast you mentioned cultured from a bottle of commercial beer?

Back