Creating a starter from dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpargeMcGee

Reaction score
Due to COVID-19, my LHBS is closed until further notice and I only have one pack of dry yeast left(Nottingham). I'd like to stretch it out and make a large starter so I can use it for multiple 5 gallon batches. Any tips on how to do so?

Due to COVID-19, my LHBS is closed until further notice and I only have one pack of dry yeast left(Nottingham). I'd like to stretch it out and make a large starter so I can use it for multiple 5 gallon batches. Any tips on how to do so?
Brew a nice 5% pale ale split the cake into three portions. No loose dry hooping for the pale ale to keep the hop debris to a minimum. Store the yeast cake in the fridge and let it warm to room temperature before using.

I’ve messed around with different ways of doing this in the past partly just to try it, and partly being a cheapskate.

The first method I tried was to make a batch of beer as normal, then after racking the beer, taking that yeast slurry with some distilled, swirling it up and then transferring it to some sanitized jars, filling them to the top. Seal the jars loosely (in case there’s still any activity, don’t want the jars exploding) and store them in the fridge. Before using I take a sniff, and if it doesn’t smell bad I’ll make a starter from that slurry to prove it still has vitality/wake it up. I usually don’t decant off the top layer of the jar, but just use the whole thing. The longest I’ve ever had one of the jars in the fridge and used it with success was about 2 months. Never had one of them go bad on me, though I’ve only done this a couple times so maybe I’ve jut been lucky.

The other method is basically like the first one except instead of brewing a beer to start I make a starter (2 l) and then once the starter is completely divide that up equally in to loosely sealed containers in the fridge and then make another starter from each of those when I wanted to brew. If you don’t have smaller jars (I have a bunch of little 500ml jam jars I did this with) you can always top off the jar with sterilized water or make a bigger starter initially.

I liked using the first method better as it got me my first beer quicker than the second method. Though I’d imagine the second method has a better chance of not ending up with anything “off” in the yeast.

Just used US05 in an IPA a couple of weeks ago. The day I kegged, I sterilized 3 quarts of water, in Mason jars, in the pressure cooker.
When cooled, I poured the water on the yeast cake, swirled, then refilled the Mason jars with slurry.
I didn't bother rinsing the yeast any further. Just put the jars in the keezer.
On Saturday, I pulled a jar out, letting it warm to room temp. Poured off a small portion of the liquid, then the rest into a sterilized glass measuring cup. With a sterilized spoon, I scooped the rest of the yeast sitting on top of the trub in the jar.
I had about two cups of thin yeast slurry in the measuring cup. This was pitched into cooled 1.060 wort. By yesterday afternoon, I had a very active airlock.
Most of brewers in the contiguous 48 states don't bother with saving dry yeast because it's cheap. For me, it's still $5 - $10 per package depending on type and brand. So, it does save me a few bucks for very little effort.

I’ve messed around with different ways of doing this in the past partly just to try it, and partly being a cheapskate.

The first method I tried was to make a batch of beer as normal, then after racking the beer, taking that yeast slurry with some distilled, swirling it up and then transferring it to some sanitized jars, filling them to the top. Seal the jars loosely (in case there’s still any activity, don’t want the jars exploding) and store them in the fridge. Before using I take a sniff, and if it doesn’t smell bad I’ll make a starter from that slurry to prove it still has vitality/wake it up. I usually don’t decant off the top layer of the jar, but just use the whole thing. The longest I’ve ever had one of the jars in the fridge and used it with success was about 2 months. Never had one of them go bad on me, though I’ve only done this a couple times so maybe I’ve jut been lucky.

The other method is basically like the first one except instead of brewing a beer to start I make a starter (2 l) and then once the starter is completely divide that up equally in to loosely sealed containers in the fridge and then make another starter from each of those when I wanted to brew. If you don’t have smaller jars (I have a bunch of little 500ml jam jars I did this with) you can always top off the jar with sterilized water or make a bigger starter initially.

I liked using the first method better as it got me my first beer quicker than the second method. Though I’d imagine the second method has a better chance of not ending up with anything “off” in the yeast.

This is good advise except it is better to keep the yeast in the "beer" from a previous ferment or from the starter than it is to use water.

Sorry to respond twice, but the other tip I've picked up on this board is to add slightly more sparge water to your next brew. Gather a quart or two of the runnings and save those for starters. No DME required.
I also did this on my Saturday brew. I did a two step batch sparge. Ended up with a quart each of 1.030 and 1.020 wort.
Again, sterilized the wort in the pressure cooler, capped, and into the keezer for storage.
These will be used to make a starter for my next batch of beer.

This is good advise except it is better to keep the yeast in the "beer" from a previous ferment or from the starter than it is to use water.

Good call. When I do take it from the fermenter there is always a little beer left over in the bottom, and I’d use the distilled water to just help make sure I could get it all in suspension so I can get it all out, but yeah, I should probably just leave a touch more beer in the bottom instead so I don’t have to worry about adding anything else to it.

Back