Creatine and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer HGH myself...oh wait, um..... I have no idea, I'm leaning towards none as I've never heard of it as a yeast nutrient.

Are you trying to make a "health" beer or hoping the creatine will get the yeast to go that extra mile to attenuate a 1.200 brew? I suppose you would have to test and see. To me it doesn't sound appealing, never have been able to get over the grittiness of creatine...bad texture juju.

Bottom line, anyone who is serious enough to take creatine, would never put it in their beer.

Why not take creatine, and then drink beer?

I like to eat pizza with beer sometimes, but that doesn't compel me to drop a slice in the fermenter.

Why not take creatine, and then drink beer?

I like to eat pizza with beer sometimes, but that doesn't compel me to drop a slice in the fermenter.

NICE...how about burrito beer too :) My personal favorite is bacon beer, invented at a college party.

Seriously though, creatine almost completely converts into creatinine in the body due to its acidic nature. Beer, being acidic, would probably have the same impact on the creatine and creatinine is not exactly good for the body hence products like kre-alkalin which adds a PH buffer to try to avoid the conversion. So unless you are going to somehow brew at a PH of 12 or so it would be a pointless endeavor.

Oh, I've totally done that and it turned out great...haha, just kidding.

But weren't you hoping someone would say that?

Haha thanks for the replies guys, the only reason I ask is that creatine plays a role in humans during anaerobic respiration.

I may be wrong here, in most metabolic processes ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is produced. Creatine supplementation is proven to increase the rate of ATP production in humans for muscle contraction.

As we know yeast metabolises anaerobically, so therefore would creatine increase the fermentation rate?

NICE...how about burrito beer too :) My personal favorite is bacon beer, invented at a college party.

Seriously though, creatine almost completely converts into creatinine in the body due to its acidic nature. Beer, being acidic, would probably have the same impact on the creatine and creatinine is not exactly good for the body hence products like kre-alkalin which adds a PH buffer to try to avoid the conversion. So unless you are going to somehow brew at a PH of 12 or so it would be a pointless endeavor.

Okay, I kind of understand what you are saying, does this mean that yeast will not convert any of the creatine at all?

yea this is interesting put it in the brew science. I just remember taking it once and it ****ed up my liver.....

Okay, I kind of understand what you are saying, does this mean that yeast will not convert any of the creatine at all?

I think he's saying what I said in the other thread but in a more correct way. Yeast, if it can use creatine at all, will not have anything to use as the creatine will break down into creatinine once it is in the wort for any length of time and creatinine is not useful.

I could not imagine that yeast could or would need to metabolize creatine; however given I'm no biologist I can't say for certain. However, getting creatine to the yeast before being turned into creatinine would be a challenge. I cannot imagine there could be any use for creatine in brewing.

Back