Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brewing this in a few weeks and it'll be my first time using corn and flaked rice. My question is I have some noble hops in the freezer so could I use that for bittering and shoot for around 14 ibu's? Figure since this is indeed a bittering only addition it probably wouldn't matter.
Correct!

Got another question. Would I be ok with a 60 minute boil or should I stick with the 90 minute boil due to using flaked corn (potential DMS)?

Got another question. Would I be ok with a 60 minute boil or should I stick with the 90 minute boil due to using flaked corn (potential DMS)?
I personally see no reason for the 90 minutes. I would even go further and boil only for 20-30 minutes, while adjusting hop additions to hit desired ibus.

image.jpg
Brew day in progress went with adding some dme instead of extra rice. IBU’s will be closer to 19 with the cluster hops.

I'm brewing this in a few weeks and it'll be my first time using corn and flaked rice. My question is I have some noble hops in the freezer so could I use that for bittering and shoot for around 14 ibu's? Figure since this is indeed a bittering only addition it probably wouldn't matter.
Noble hops will be a fine hop for this beer. Hit that 14-IBU point and you'll be golden.

Noble hops will be a fine hop for this beer. Hit that 14-IBU point and you'll be golden.

I wanted to beef up the abv and lighten the body a tad more via adjuncts. I have a ton of Magnum and Hallertau and was wanting an excuse to use it up. Figured since it called for a bittering addition only then Magnum hops SHOULD do the trick ;) Mind eyeballing this and giving some input?

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Cream Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.035
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.62%
IBU (tinseth): 17.97
SRM (morey): 2.63
Mash pH: 5.77

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - Pale 2-Row (61.1%)
2 lb - Flaked Corn (22.2%)
1 lb - Flaked Rice (11.1%)
0.5 lb - Rice Hulls (5.6%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 17.97

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 2.6 gal
2) Infusion, Temp: 168 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 1.1 gal
3) Fly Sparge, Temp: 168 F, Amount: 4.41 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

I personally don't like the flaked rice flavor/taste imparted on the cream ale. Increase the base malt and/or flaked corn. Why the rice hulls?

By "lighten the body" mean drinkability wise or color wise?

I've never used flaked rice or flaked corn so this is a learning brew for me. I'm using rice hulls since the adjuncts are in the 30% range. I've moved from BIAB to a 3 tier setup and this will be my 5th brew on it. I'm not comfortable enough with this system yet to worry about stuck sparges so it's for insurance. For lighten the body I was under the assumption the corn/rice adjuncts were for making the brew a tad "crisper" (not sure if that's the exact word I'm looking for there but it's body I'm talking about and not looks). Now I did read a brulosophy article and it sounds like it may not make as large of a difference as I thought. It seems like it may clear easier though. Anywho this will be a learning brew and one to build up wlp001 slurry for the next brew ;)

I brewed the base malt, corn and rice. Didn't use rice hulls. I have a eHERMs setup. No problems. I personally enjoyed the version I made without the rice more than the version with the rice. Just my preference.

Mashing at the lower end of the temp range will achieve the crisp you seek. Try 149F.

I brewed the base malt, corn and rice. Didn't use rice hulls. I have a eHERMs setup. No problems. I personally enjoyed the version I made without the rice more than the version with the rice. Just my preference.

Mashing at the lower end of the temp range will achieve the crisp you seek. Try 149F.

Funny story we were doing some house cleaning and I came across some minute rice (still good) so a buck or two saved there! Anywho I've been doing a TON of reading and will be building my own recipe but I do thank Biermuncher and Tobor 8thman for the advice!

I moved this to a secondary fermenter yesterday. It's been in primary for 2 weeks. I know I know this doesn't need a secondary....Well I needed to free up a fermenter and I'm holding it there until I can cold crash/gelatin this. The clarity on this brew is insane btw! I tried this and just bottled Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer a few days prior. Have to say I'm not a fan of the Fizzy Yellow Beer. Now this Cream ale is darn tasty! The best way to explain it is if you made PBR an ale this is what you'd get imo. In other words this will be on normal rotation at the house ;)

Brewed up my second batch of this recipe (with a tweak or two) to break in my new system. Went well, ended up with a half gallon too much wort, so OG came in a little lower than I'd like, but I wasn't expecting perfection. Excited to have this on hand again!

Just Brewing this one up now.

5.5 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
Scoop of rice hulls

Currently Mashing at 152.

Using the following hops (because that's the only one that were close at the supply store.

.5 oz Fuggle @ 60min
.5 oz Mt. Hood @ 60mins

And I just realized it only have safale 04 left instead of 05. Hoping that's going to work out ok. Excited for the results.

This will be my first kegged batch. Been doing bottles forever, and they are such a pain in the butt to clean and sanitize every damn time I Brew a batch, so really looking forward to finally kegging

Any thoughts on the 04?

View attachment 652148 Brew day in progress went with adding some dme instead of extra rice. IBU’s will be closer to 19 with the cluster hops.

If you’re an AHA member, you should submit this photo to their “brewing buddy” program. Each bimonthly issue they feature several Homebrewers who sent in a pic of their pet brewing with them, along with a short snippet about the pet. Yours is pretty epic compared to some I’ve seen.

5.5 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
Scoop of rice hulls

Using the following hops (because that's the only one that were close at the supply store.

.5 oz Fuggle @ 60min
.5 oz Mt. Hood @ 60mins

And I just realized it only have safale 04 left instead of 05. Hoping that's going to work out ok. Excited for the results.

This will be my first kegged batch. Been doing bottles forever, and they are such a pain in the butt to clean and sanitize every damn time I Brew a batch, so really looking forward to finally kegging

Any thoughts on the 04?

I'm about to do this and using S-04 too. I expect good things.

All the Best,
D. White

I always thought rice didnt really impart any flavors, only cheap fermentables to up the OG. Thats why bud uses it.

Just put this together.

3.0 gallons, SG 1.042

3.0 lb. 2 row
1 lb cornmeal
4.0 oz. Caravienne
4.0 oz. white wheat malt.
1/2 teaspoon gypsum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Irish moss 15 minutes before end of boil.

Mashed at 148-149F for 90 minutes.

Amarillo, 0.5 oz @ 25 minutes, 0.5 oz. steep at flameout. Should be about 16.3 IBU.

Whole pack of US-05.

Wanted a little more flavor than rice would have added so used Caravienne and white wheat.

Cereal mashed the corn meal with 4 ounces of 2-row. Interesting experience but won't ever do it again. Serious pain in the backside.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited:

5.5 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
Scoop of rice hulls

.5 oz Fuggle @ 60min
.5 oz Mt. Hood @ 60mins

Any thoughts on the 04?
Not sure where I went wrong with this one. OG was 1.040. tested after 18 days. Only down to 1.020. checked again 3 days later...still 1.020 giving me a Final ABV of 2.7 (ish)

Maybe the 04 yeast? First time I've experienced this problem so I'm at a loss. Oh well....kegged her up anyway.

Not sure where I went wrong with this one. OG was 1.040. tested after 18 days. Only down to 1.020. checked again 3 days later...still 1.020 giving me a Final ABV of 2.7 (ish)

Maybe the 04 yeast? First time I've experienced this problem so I'm at a loss. Oh well....kegged her up anyway.
One guess is depending on temp you fermented at it could have dropped out before being done.

One guess is depending on temp you fermented at it could have dropped out before being done.
Yes I suppose. I was fermenting right around 65-66. Just poured myself a glass. It's definitely light tasting. As it stands now, makes for a good lawnmower beer. Live and learn

Yes I suppose. I was fermenting right around 65-66. Just poured myself a glass. It's definitely light tasting. As it stands now, makes for a good lawnmower beer. Live and learn
Warm it up to 70°F and rouse the yeast. S-04 is very prone to early flocculation.

S04 is usually a monster. Usually warms up quite a bit during fermentation. I ferment in an ice box and usually have to add extra ice while S04 is working.

Mash temperature correct? Didn't overshoot and end up at 158F?

I would do what RPh Guy suggested.

Your using a hydrometer, right? Not a refractometer? Refractometer is not accurate once alcohol is present.

All the Best
D. White

Last edited:
S04 is usually a monster. Usually warms up quite a bit during fermentation. I ferment in an ice box and usually have to add extra ice while S04 is working.

Mash temperature correct? Didn't overshoot and end up at 158F?

I would do what RPh Guy suggested.

Your using a hydrometer, right? Not a refractometer? Refractometer is not accurate once alcohol is present.

All the Best
D. White
Mashed at 152. And yes, I use a hydrometer. :)

It's all good. I'll just have a really light beer to drink for the next couple weeks. Not a great tasting beer (it's ok) but, The recipe was cheap enough to make that I'm not worried about it either way.

Thank you very much for this recipe. I've made a second micro batch of it and will certainly make a slightly bigger batch next time. Maybe also might play with some different hops to see what they add to it. Interesting that it didn't clear so well as the first one I made, so will take more care over the boil next time.

IMG_9136.jpg

Just put this together.

3.0 gallons, SG 1.042

3.0 lb. 2 row
1 lb cornmeal
4.0 oz. Caravienne
4.0 oz. white wheat malt.
1/2 teaspoon gypsum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Irish moss 15 minutes before end of boil.

Mashed at 148-149F for 90 minutes.

Amarillo, 0.5 oz @ 25 minutes, 0.5 oz. steep at flameout. Should be about 16.3 IBU.

Whole pack of US-05.

Wanted a little more flavor than rice would have added so used Caravienne and white wheat.

Cereal mashed the corn meal with 4 ounces of 2-row. Interesting experience but won't ever do it again. Serious pain in the backside.

All the Best,
D. White

Bottled this tonight. I think the Amarillo hops work real well. Putting them in late got the bitterness and some flavor too. Final gravity 1.006. About 4.7% ABV.

Might make this again with S-04 just to compare. Cereal mash is a pain but anything for science :)

All the Best,
D. White

We just tried this last night. My nephew was with us and his delighted face when he swallowed it, said it all. Said with a huge smile, ''Auntie...., I don't mean to be rude by being so surprised, but this is really, really nice beer. If I'd had this in a pub I'd be thrilled.' Then this morning, when going home, requested some bottles to take back for his dad. Pretty good marks out of ten eh? Thanking you for the recipe.

Going to make a bigger 1 gallon batch (or two) next time and keep it on repeat rotation. It's a lovely dry, but full mouthfeel, tasty beer.

We just tried this last night. My nephew was with us and his delighted face when he swallowed it, said it all. Said with a huge smile, ''Auntie...., I don't mean to be rude by being so surprised, but this is really, really nice beer. If I'd had this in a pub I'd be thrilled.' Then this morning, when going home, requested some bottles to take back for his dad. Pretty good marks out of ten eh? Thanking you for the recipe.

IMHO, probably the biggest compliment.

Back