Cream ale high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all, been a long time since i last posted here.
I have recently started brewing again and decided to put together a cream ale.
Anyhow 2 weeks after pitching the yeast i decided to check the gravity and was amazed that it had only cranked doen to 1.018.
The recipe was very basic with 3kg of pilsner malt, 1kg of flaked corn and .5kg of flaked rice which was mashed at 150f for 90mins.
Og was watered down to 1.048.
This is a 23ltr batch and i used 2 packs of us05, would have thought that after 2 weeks it would be lower then 1.018, but it has held there for 2 days solid.
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Matt

Mash temp, OG and more than enough yeast all look good. What temp did you ferment at?

Ferm temp were between 15 and 16c
I did up the temp a bit to 18to see if that would kick it off again, but nothing.
My worry is that i will have made a sweeter beer than normal due to a low hop rate on this style.
If it were more highly hopped i would worry too much.

Taste your next sample, you will know if it is too sweet.

I will try this tonight and see what it tastes like. Im just puzzled when everything was spot on as to why its not fermented any lower, i was hoping for about 1.012 ish.

I would try raising your temperature a little more to 21 C and rock or shake the fermentation bucket/carboy a little to rouse the yeast. If there is no change to your gravity reading after a couple more days at the higher temp then its done for better or worse.

Back