Crazy fast fermentation? Any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFromBrazil

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did a terrible mistake on my last batch yesterday.
Well, long story short, i wasnt using refractometer and I broke my only thermometer just after the mash out, so i had to figure out the right wort's temperature to pinch the yeast after the cooling down. I wanted to fermentate in room temperature (75F in my garage), but It was warmer than I thought. I fixed an aquarium thermometer in my fermenting bucket and it showed 93F (!!!)

So I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

After 6 hours I checked the airlock and it was bubbling as hell, the temperature was around 89F
After 24 hours the temperature was around 77F and there wasn't any bubbling in the airlock and I was terrified. I racked some beer and it looks kind of milky and it smells like real beer, with the estery aromas of T-58 and everything else.

But I'm confuse. Did I screw my batch? Did a crazy fast fermentation occure?

Any thougths guys?

Sure, if you fermented in the 90s, there's every reason to think it could be done in a day. Obviously, that's now how you want to proceed from here forward, but it'll be beer.

I meant to do a belgium golden strong ale, but it smells like a very good saison, lol. I'm confused, I think I will let it maturate at 75F and wait to see what happens. Any suggestions?

Only you can tell us that. If it tastes and smells fine, consider it lucky. Belgian breweries ferment hot, but typically under some pressure which is thought to suppress ester formation. I let my Belgians rise up into the 80's

Back