Crazy drunken idea!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidsandwich

Reaction score
So I brewed my second batch of beer to day, ( an Irish Stout W/ some coffee in it). And I had a crazy idea! As me and my friends have gotten older (25ish) we have growen out of our childish ways of Jager bombs, (although we still enjoy them once in a while), we have moved on to bigger, better, and more mature binge drinking methods.:tank: Our shot of choice, Irish car bombs! For those without such sufisticated pallets, a car bomb is 1/2 a pint of Guiness W/ a shot of half irish cream and 1/2 Jamisons Irish wiskey. So my thought: is it possble to make a stout that tastes simmiler?? Stout, Coffee, cream, and a little whiskey? Am I the only one who has thought of this concoction? I hope not cause I wouldn't know where to start. Any Ideas might be tried some time, remember this is only my second brew so I haven't played with that AG stuff, but I would still write down an AG recipe and dream of creating it some day. Also if this sounds compleatly wrong and desturbing let me know! I'll stop thinking!!:drunk:

Nick

Well, I'm drunk now, but off of homebrew. Not some Irish Car Bomb. If your goal is to get S$%tfaced, then just go to the local bar and buy an Irish Car bomb (ICB), or make it at home. If you make a stout as homebrew, you won't want to chug it with an ICB, trust me, it 's too much work. you can just get drunk off of your homebrew Stout itself, cuz it'll taste soo good.:drunk:

desiderata said:
Well, I'm drunk now, but off of homebrew. Not some Irish Car Bomb. If your goal is to get S$%tfaced, then just go to the local bar and buy an Irish Car bomb (ICB), or make it at home. If you make a stout as homebrew, you won't want to chug it with an ICB, trust me, it 's too much work. you can just get drunk off of your homebrew Stout itself, cuz it'll taste soo good.:drunk:

I think his question was if he could make a stout that tasted like an Irish Car Bomb, not to get FUBAR'd on them. IMHO it was a totally legitimate question.

To answer the question, I don't know if you could get very close to those flavors because of the cream aspect. You certainly don't want to add it to your beer, but possibly you could fake the cream flavor by adding some vanilla or some kind of artificial flavoring to trick the taster.

I've been thinking about trying a "German Chocolate Cake Stout", where I'd brew up a chocolatey stout and then add some coconut milk or flavoring to it in secondary. I don't know if it would work but I love German Chocolate cake and I love stout. Match made in heaven! :mug:

From the sounds of it you and your buddy's are not out of your childish ways...:D

American's are idiots...yes, I'm an American too.

Jagermeister is not for shots. I don't know whoever told you it was and started that crazy fad.

Jagermeister, Unterberg and others are for medicinal purposes. They improve digestion and settle your stomach...beats Rolaids! :D

But they aren't and will never be schnapps!

homebrewer_99 said:
From the sounds of it you and your buddy's are not out of your childish ways...:D

American's are idiots...yes, I'm an American too.

Jagermeister is not for shots. I don't know whoever told you it was and started that crazy fad.

Jagermeister, Unterberg and others are for medicinal purposes. They improve digestion and settle your stomach...beats Rolaids! :D

But they aren't and will never be schnapps!

Woa there buddy Its friday! night lighten up! Just an idea I had! Dude and Klainmeister Have the right idea, not to much help in the recipe department but the right idea!! The childish ways and pallet comments were joke they were funny I giggled to myself! I hope for some real advice, but come on don't be a "WINE SNOB". And I compleatly agree with the medicinal purposes of Jager... Every time I drink it I feel better!... Till morning!!

Dude said:
I've been thinking about trying a "German Chocolate Cake Stout", where I'd brew up a chocolatey stout and then add some coconut milk or flavoring to it in secondary. I don't know if it would work but I love German Chocolate cake and I love stout. Match made in heaven! :mug:

If that works I want to know. I love German Chocolate cake.
Maybe you could get the cream flavor from some lactose and some vanilla beans?

Liquidsandwich said:
Woa there buddy Its friday! night lighten up! Just an idea I had! Dude and Klainmeister Have the right idea, not to much help in the recipe department but the right idea!! The childish ways and pallet comments were joke they were funny I giggled to myself! I hope for some real advice, but come on don't be a "WINE SNOB". And I compleatly agree with the medicinal purposes of Jager... Every time I drink it I feel better!... Till morning!!
I think you took me the wrong way...easy thing to do. :eek:

My first line was a joke back at you...notice the smiley? :D

The rest was just commentary. No insult intended, just trying to be informative. ;)

Maybe lactose (edit just noticed ollllo already mentioned that) would create the creamyness that youre looking for without making it overly sweet. I know people use it in milk stout's to create that effect. Im in North Carolina and a local micro brew Duck Rabbit Head makes a milk stout with lactose which is great. As for the coffee you could add some at the end of your boil and then let it fall out in primary or add some beans to secondary. You could get amounts from other coffee stouts or beers. As for the whiskey Im not sure, you could always use it in your airlock. Just kidding I imagine you could dump a little in secondary or stick oak chips in secondary to give that oaky flavor without the alcohol. Good luck let us know how it come out.

Homebrewer I was just givin you a hard time back! I was actualy at work and I was bored. I like this Idea about the whiskey oak chips! we might be on to something here!!!!!

Liquidsandwich said:
Homebrewer I was just givin you a hard time back! I was actualy at work and I was bored. I like this Idea about the whiskey oak chips! we might be on to something here!!!!!

I know that this is not going to help you one bit but as for the whiskey, it can be added to the beer. There is a Micro Brew near my home that makes a kickass Bourbon Stout.. But it is also like 15%ABV. Not that it's a bad thing. :D

Sma Adams makes a Scottish ale that tastes a little " whiskey-ee" from the use of smoked malt. Maybe it's peat smoked. You could add some of that, either in the mash, or steeped if you're using extract. The combination of that, the lactose, and the coffee would put you close. You'd have to fiddle with the proportions until you found what you were looking for.

A note of caution: If you decide to use vanilla extract as a flavoring, go REAL light with it. I used too much in a coffee/vanilla stout one time. The taste kinda grew on you after a couple, but waking up in the morning tasting vanilla was a major drawback!:(

Make your strong coffee stout and include lactose for the creamy, mouthfeel and some splenda for a touch of sweetness. Maybe even a 1/4 cup of crushed mint leaves in the secondary.

I like these ideas! I wrote them down and I'll have to give some a try. Don't know when I'll get to it but I'll let everyone know.

Back