Brewing in an Electric Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
I had almost finished putting together my 5 gal, 3 vessel electric system in MT - (10 gal hlt, 5 gal boil pot, 5 gal mash pot w/pumps), and then came down to TN for a 2 week visit, and 1 1/2 years later we're still here (the wife can't stand the idea of leaving the grandkids ) :>( . We're living in a 256 Sq ft cabin - 'till we go back home'. In order to be able to continue making my own beer, I've had to make some adjustments. I bought an electric turkey fryer from AmVets to brew in, due to the limited space. I can mash in with 3 1/2 gal of water/BIAB, if I keep the bag off the heating elements on the bottom of the fryer. Then I drain the mash into the pot, using a strainer to hold the bag up high enuff to drain. raise the temp to about 250F to boil, and boil for the time it's supposed to go (60 or 90 min), I drape an old bag over the mash, drain, and boil to keep the flies, gnats, cockroaches and Japanese Lady Bugs out of the brew. After draining the boil pot into a fermenter of 1 1/2 - 2 gallons of ice water, I add yeast and I ferment a 1st and 2nd fermentation (about 14+ days), then age in a keg for another 14 days.
This kind of system would work good apartment dwellers/tiny home dwellers/folks with limited income, for anyone out there that might be interested. Works well for me. I might also add that when NB, MoreBeer of any of the other many suppliers have a "2-fer or 3-fer deal" on LME/DME kits @ $20 each, the kits work great in the turkey fryer (just make sure you stir like crazy when pouring in the LME/DME on the hot elements, as the elements take a few minutes to cool down after you shut them off to add the LME/DME) and the brewday is quite a bit shorter, altho, I'm still partial to AG brews unless those special deals are cheap enuff to turn my head, lol.
Turkey Fryer from AmVets - $23
100 Cup Coffee Urn (3+ gal) from Restore - $8.00 - Gets up to 185F for sparge water
collapsible strainer from Restore - $.50

Any other questions will be answered (if possible), but keep in mind I'm no Brew Guru, I'm over 75 and pretty much a computer illiterate these days ;>).

Back