Help me plan big event!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00Seven

All-Terrain Brewing Company
Reaction score
My work called me today and asked me to brew 10 gallons of beer for our sales meeting usually the second week of December. There is one other guy that brews and he is bring some also so I guess we will have a little competition. I'm not responsible for the entirety of the booze as we will have a full bar also, just something to make it fun. There will be a lot of folks there who mainly drink BMC. I need ideas on what recipes to brew. If they had given me more time I would experiment a bit more but I don't have THAT much time so I'm looking for some tested recipes. I've done the centennial blonde with good success, cream of three crops is good too. I'm thinking about doing two beers. Maybe do a like a cream ale and then do a more craft beer. I have a holiday ale that's really good, it's pretty heavy though. Probably going to stay away from any IPAs but don't want to totally throw it out. Is there any legal issues with transporting and serving that much? I won't be selling any of it. This is in Texas. Anyway, I want to use the collective wisdom on here to help me plan the best beer(s) we can come up with.

My experience and equipment as a brewer just for guidelines, I'm sitting around 12 AG brews, and at least that many extract. I'm very comfortable with my process. I'm only able to do 5 gallon batches and only have one primary bucket but can buy another. Fermtation temp isn't an issue. Thanks!

I’d do a pilsner and/or a Kölsch. If you can do it pretty soon it has time to lager enough.
The beer in my profile picture is a Black kolsch recipe I made that was pretty good, especially in the cooler months. Any other really solid kolsch recipes you’ve done?

A4C8191D-CC15-42A5-B2D2-5B7796C16193.jpeg
9.7 pounds german pilsner
Mash 90 minutes at 149
90 minute boil
2.2 oz spalt @ 60 minutes
Ferment at 58° with wyeast 2565.

This is based on 5.5 gallons at 75% Brew house efficiency. I was a little more efficient so my beer is 5.8% ABV instead of 5.1%. 30 IBUs and 3 SRM.

This is a really clean, unassuming, “lawn mower” beer. I think the BMC crowd would really like it. It’s really thirst quenching on a hot day, but I prefer a little more flavor out of my beers. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good, but there’s nothing earth shattering about it.

Belgian Trippel. It's funny watching people not realise how much alcohol is in them because they're so easy to drink. Even funnier when they are work colleagues.

Belgian Trippel. It's funny watching people not realise how much alcohol is in them because they're so easy to drink. Even funnier when they are work colleagues.

I did this at a party with my margaritas. They’re easy drinking but will kick your tail. Guess who doesn’t get to make margaritas at the party any more.

I do this every year. I do an American wheat since it's approachable for the BMC crowd and cheap (not a ton of hops). Use a quicker fermenting yeast so the chance of the beer being green is low. I've also done Centennial Blonde, which was a big hit.

This year I'm using Hornindal Kveik on the wheat to add a little citrus punch.

I keep getting asked to do it every year so I think I'm successful.

I just was part of a brew-fest yesterday. Many of the people there were BMC drinkers. I had an Amber that was the number-one beer; lots of refills and re-refills.

If you can do a good lager, that would be a good one. If that's sketchy, try an amber.

BUT--this is a chance to show off your homebrew. I'd do one BMC-acceptable beer, but also something fun that you'd maybe drink if you were the one deciding...which you are.

So--a basic beer, and whatever your house specialty is. That's what I'd do.

PS: I had four beers there, the Amber, a Dark Lager, a Hazy IPA, and a California Common. All had repeat customers. I listed them in the order of popularity. Amber first, CC last. The CC is a specialty style for sure--a lot of people have never heard of one, and don't know what to expect. But there were some who had repeats of it, so it must have been acceptable.

Funny story: one woman came up to see what I had, and wanted to try the Amber. Had that, but before she could get a refill, I asked her if she'd try my Darth Lager. She saw it was dark, and of course wasn't sure--she doesn't like dark beers. I asked her to taste it with her nose and her tongue, not her eyes. I poured her a couple ounces; she sipped it, sipped it again....her eyes went kind of unfocused for a moment....and she handed the glass back to me to fill it up.

She had three more refills. :)

Here's what I'm thinking right now. Cream of Three crops ale (simple, cheap, fast, delicious, loved by all) and an American Amber holiday ale, recipe found here
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/707192/brickwarmer-holiday-ale

The holiday ale is a Northern Brewer recipe that I converted to all grain from a different supplier and tweaked to match my equipment and batch size. It's malty, with a lot of body and a wonder orange flavor from two additions of orange peel.

Still open to doing the centennial blonde instead. My friends liked the cream ale much better though.

Thoughts?

In an ideal world a pilsner like the one posted above or a kolsch would be really good, really thought about doing a honey kolsch. But I don't want to roll out a new recipe just for this without trying it first

the centennial blonde recipe gets my vote. easy to drink. tasty. appeals to all.

I would do centennial blonde and a good Amber. That will take care of the BMC drinkers, the beer snobs, and anyone in between.

If there will be macro beer there for those macro drinkers why bother trying to brew something similar?? No offense but you won’t be able to make a better Pilsner or AAL than the most technologically advanced breweries in the world making the most shelf stable, consistent beers. Like em or not they always taste the same which is a feet of engineering in itself.

Make something that you’ve got dialed that will do your brewing skills justice. The last thing you want to do is go out on a limb especially at 12 AG brews. If you make a good beer the people that appreciate craft will enjoy it. It’s not your job to convert people. No offense but leave that to the pros.

If there will be macro beer there for those macro drinkers why bother trying to brew something similar?? No offense but you won’t be able to make a better Pilsner or AAL than the most technologically advanced breweries in the world making the most shelf stable, consistent beers. Like em or not they always taste the same which is a feet of engineering in itself.

Make something that you’ve got dialed that will do your brewing skills justice. The last thing you want to do is go out on a limb especially at 12 AG brews. If you make a good beer the people that appreciate craft will enjoy it. It’s not your job to convert people. No offense but leave that to the pros.

You make a great point. If I make something that has a similar profile but even better it can be a great window into introducing people to craft beer and the range of flavor it provides. Nothing worse than bringing 10 gallons of beer and leaving with 9 gallons 4 hours later.

As mentioned I think the two recipes I’m looking at would be a great appeal of something different than BMC and crafty enough to be delicious. Look at that amber recipe I posted and see what you think.

You make a great point. If I make something that has a similar profile but even better it can be a great window into introducing people to craft beer and the range of flavor it provides. Nothing worse than bringing 10 gallons of beer and leaving with 9 gallons 4 hours later.

As mentioned I think the two recipes I’m looking at would be a great appeal of something different than BMC and crafty enough to be delicious. Look at that amber recipe I posted and see what you think.
That is a good point. I think a simple APA would do the trick

Latest posts

Back