Crash Cooling makeshift!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_travels

Reaction score
Well I have no way of crash cooling my carboy..untill now! I am starting to get some equip ready for my a.g. adventures and my new keggle with a 12in hole just so happens to fit a carboy in it! Here it is.... I am not to stooked to have to put so much stress on the neck but i will just have to be carefull! (5 gal carboy)

coldcrashweb.jpg

Is that a glass carboy? I'd be really really really really reaaaaalllly careful if it is!

It has been determined via general concencus and the feedback of forum members that the two culprits for carboy breakage are:

1)Thermal shock
2)Impact (to clarify, bumping them against a hard surface and it doesn't break then and there)

Both of these produce micro stress cracks that make their appearance as full carboys splitting in half usually slicing open the bearer and resulting in much swearing and worse sometimes. To boot most of the glass carboys are really cheap glass to begin with.

Other than that it is a great idea :D

The beer is my rogue Dead guy and I didn't know about the stress crack thing...I think I am going to get some help and put the keggle on a counter and rack right out of it! Hopefull I will get lucky on this one!

no the wort was not hot .....I want to cool it so it will clear sooner and I can bottle! I am working on a short time line. The FG is 1.011 I have no place in my house that is cool enough to do this!

How about a plastic trash can. Wrap the carboy with rubber that people put on the shelves, at the depo or on your shelves, carefully!!!

At the best, you're going to cause microfissures which will allow gas to permeate and possibly cause contamination. At worse, you die from a sliced artery or vein or a shard of glass in your keggle.

Not worth the risk in my opinion. You can do that two or three times max before you break your carboy, then you'll need to spend half the cost of a chiller to replace it. Just buy a chiller.

Cheese, he's talking about crash-cooling in secondary, after the beer's already fermented. This isn't a replacement for a chiller, it's a replacement for a lagering fridge.

To relieve stress on the neck for something like this get one of those straps that go around the hole carboy, and have them sit on the sides of your keg, then when you lower it and lift it your not putting any stress on the neck.

Hey Fire, do you have a good recipie for the Dead Guy Ale? i've been wanting to try that one out!

Hey Fire, do you have a good recipie for the Dead Guy Ale? i've been wanting to try that one out!

I used the AHS clone kit here !

I heard that it is a good clone and many others have used it also!

and thanks to everyone who responded to this! This is my secondary and It is already starting to clear ( I look real close and can watch the little particals fall)!

the_bird has already posted the obvious solution. Just rack in and out of the carboy while it's in the keggle. No stress, no fractures. You might have to worry about abdominal stress while lifting it if you don't plan ahead, though. In that case, you could always drain the keggle to lighten the load before you rack it back out of the carboy.

I bottled tonight and everything went well!

I think if you used
one of those straps that go around the hole carboy
mot

this might not be a bad ideal for hotter temps! "on a budget"

all-in-all it's all in the bottle!

Back