Crap!Someone popped my yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
I got a shipment from Northern Brewer yesterday. I can't say that I'm terribly happy with the time it took to ship. The first time I ordered from them I ordered on a Wednesday afternoon and the shipment came in on Monday. Since they have it posted that where I live is three days to ship I ordered this batch of ingredients on Tuesday in hopes that it would be here by Friday...but alas, I had to wait until Monday. I don't care really except that my Wyeast packs sit on a hot UPS truck for the whole weekend.

I didn't have problems with the first order from them but this time one of my yeast smackpacks appears to already have been smacked. Due to it being wrapped tightly in bubble wrap and the ice pack that was packed with it the pack was about ready to burst when I took it out of the box. Will this pack be alright if I keep it in the fridge until I'm ready to brew?? Of the two kits I ordered I guess this one will have to be done first. Also, I ordered some dry wine yeast for EdWort's Apfelwein....does this need to be kept refrigerated or will room temp be ok?

Another question: One of my kits is a Honey Brown Ale. It came with a pound of honey that is supposed to be added at flame out. Can I add more honey in the fermenter so the beer will actually have a honey taste? I love the taste of honey but have read that because it is so fermentable that the taste will ferment out. Where else can I add honey in the process to get some of that flavor back. Also, what kind and how much??

CollinsBrew said:
I got a shipment from Northern Brewer yesterday. I can't say that I'm terribly happy with the time it took to ship. The first time I ordered from them I ordered on a Wednesday afternoon and the shipment came in on Monday. Since they have it posted that where I live is three days to ship I ordered this batch of ingredients on Tuesday in hopes that it would be here by Friday...but alas, I had to wait until Monday. I don't care really except that my Wyeast packs sit on a hot UPS truck for the whole weekend.

I didn't have problems with the first order from them but this time one of my yeast smackpacks appears to already have been smacked. Due to it being wrapped tightly in bubble wrap and the ice pack that was packed with it the pack was about ready to burst when I took it out of the box. Will this pack be alright if I keep it in the fridge until I'm ready to brew?? Of the two kits I ordered I guess this one will have to be done first. Also, I ordered some dry wine yeast for EdWort's Apfelwein....does this need to be kept refrigerated or will room temp be ok?

Another question: One of my kits is a Honey Brown Ale. It came with a pound of honey that is supposed to be added at flame out. Can I add more honey in the fermenter so the beer will actually have a honey taste? I love the taste of honey but have read that because it is so fermentable that the taste will ferment out. Where else can I add honey in the process to get some of that flavor back. Also, what kind and how much??

How soon you are going to brew will determine if you should use that smack pack or not. If it's within a couple of days, you should be fine. Make sure to make a starter and inform Northern of the problem.

Honey can be added at any time during the boil. The less time it boils, the more honey taste you will have. I wouldn't add any to the fermentor.

I would make a starter for that yeast to ensure that it is still viable. It's a good ides anyway and may save some heartache down the road. Next order get some of the 11.5 gram dry yeast packets for a backup. They keep a long time in the refrigerator. Never used honey so someone else can chime in on that, all that I have read about it's use is add it later in the process to retain some of it's flavor.

The pack will be just fine. If it doesn't do anything and you end up having to pitch something else, just let NB know and if their cust serv is worth the hair on my nuts, they'll ship a replacement pack to you free of charge.

What I'd suggest doing is making a starter the day before you brew. A big starter. Just to be sure that the yeast are okay---though, given that the pack is all swelled, they appear to be okay. But starters are never a bad idea!

As for the honey...you have several options. I don't know if I'd add it to the fermenter, because it might have a lot of bacteria that could contaminate your brew. Adding at flameout means the flavor won't get boiled out, but it'll still kill the bacteria and wild yeast that reside in it. You can also add more honey than they call for (just get it at the grocery store). Lastly...you can add Honey Malt to your grain bill...it really adds a nice honeyed layer to the brew.

edit: yeah, you know, even if that yeast packet does work out, I'd get ahold of NB and make them send another, just because they should.

Evan! said:
Adding at flameout means the flavor won't get boiled out, but it'll still kill the bacteria and wild yeast that reside in it.

At flameout, the wort is still prenty hot to kill anything of concern in your beer.

The honey malt is a good idea - yummy stuff!

Just talked to Northern Brewer and they are sending me a new smackpack that should be here by Friday. It was a 1056 American Ale yeast and they said that they have a tendency to swell up during shipping but if the pack is swollen all the way out they would just send a replacement...cool. Customer Service was swift and to the point...nice people.

I might see about getting a little bit of honey malt to add into the grain bill.

Back