Craigslist Scammer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought I sold my Brutus clone on Craigslist but the first red flag was when they never asked me details about it. But after a couple emails back and forth ( I asked for a tracking number for the check) I got the below email. Does this sound like a scam or am I paranoid?

------------------------------------

I just want you to know that you will get the check from Ups and here is the tracking number (xxxxxx) So all you need to do once you get the check just deduct your own money with extra $100 as your running around and have the rest wire to the shipping company that will come for the pick up at your place via western union money transfer and get back to me with best time for pick up today and also western union details...Note you will deduct out western union charges out of the rest funds after deducting your own money and extra $100 that i promise you.

Here is the shipping compnay information that you need to send the rest funds to Via western union. Name : Tinh Dang Address : 326 S. 56th Ave City : Monterey park State : CA Zipcode : 91755 Email : [email protected] I will like you to email me western union details that you use to wire the rest funds. Sender's Name Amount Sent after western union charges Mtcn 10 digit control number Best time for pick up at your place. Get back to me once you see this message. Thanks for your understanding.

So once you get his check, you cash it. Keep your money, pocket an extra $100 he promised you, then wire the rest to the shipping company.

Yeah it's a scam, your cashing a bad check, keeping some for yourself and sending the rest to the shipping company via wire transfer (which is the scammer).

Then your stuck with dealing with your bank when the check bounces.

RUN!

SCAM.

note, their next move will most likely be to threaten you. don't believe their BS as they're probably actually in bum-f'd Nigeria or something.

Nigerian-409.jpg

Urgent! Cash my bad check and send me some!

send them a picture of you eating a steak and drinking a beer, with the caption "I have everything and you have nothing!!"

It's a classic scam. It's taken straight from the book of the Nigerian Scams. I wonder if they even know what a BRUTUS is?

What happens is when you deposit the check it looks good to the bank, you think all is good and send back the balance then about 2 weeks later after the bank tries to actually cash the check it is bad and you get stuck for the loss. Use to be a very common scam, don't see it alot anymore. A friend of mine almost got stung on a car, he waited to make sure the check was cashed and cleared by the bank, it was bad!

VB

Is the guy on the right wearing a skirt? And why is the guy on top holding fish? This is so bizarre...

Spend some time at 413eater, and you'll understand.

Basically, you just **** with the scammers, you act like a victim but you make them do all kinds of weird **** to prove that they are real. But it's just to **** with them and to waste their time.

tope3.jpg

Is the guy on the right wearing a skirt? And why is the guy on top holding fish? This is so bizarre...

It's called scam baiting.

Scam baiters are a spirited breed (I'm one of them) that trick scammers into thinking they have you reeled in, but when actually you're the one who has them reeled. You make them do ridiculous things while giving them false promises that they're getting your money. It's a blast :rockin:

EDIT: Ninja'd by the_bird - damned phonecalls :mad:

I played one of these scammers for almost a month. I told him I didn't receive the check for about 2 weeks. Then I told him my Bank put a hold on it. Then, it was released, but I accidently sent it via Western Union instead of MoneyGram. I used the address of the local PD for my mailing address and the direct line to the chief's phone as my number. He threatened me. I invited him over! It was fun while it lasted!

What??? Are you suggesting there might be a scammer in Craigslist??? NAAAAAAHHHH!!! How could you even think that?:D:D

A few years ago, I got an email from the "British Lottery". I had won almost $2 million, without even playing!! And I fell for it.

A couple of days later, a "representative" called me on the phone, and told me that, to get my prize, I had to send them $3900 for "administrative fees", so they could then send me my check. When I told them I didn't have that amount of money, so they said "no problem: we will send you a check. You cash it and send us the cash, so we can process your payment."

Of course, that raised all kinds of red flags. A few days later, I got the check. A representative of the British lottery, supposedly based in Atlanta, Ga, was sending me a check from a law firm, right here in downtown Miami.
So I went to the law firm's office, only to learn that the check was stolen, and had already been reported to the FBI. So I started giving the scammers the runaround, to the point that they called me twice, making the mistake of not blocking their numbers (which happened to have a Tampa area code). Next time they called me, I told them that the check, together with their phone numbers (and I read them the numbers), were already in FBI's hands.
Never heard from them again.:mug:

So I thought I sold my Brutus clone on Craigslist but the first red flag was when they never asked me details about it. But after a couple emails back and forth ( I asked for a tracking number for the check) I got the below email. Does this sound like a scam or am I paranoid?

------------------------------------

I just want you to know that you will get the check from Ups and here is the tracking number (xxxxxx) So all you need to do once you get the check just deduct your own money with extra $100 as your running around and have the rest wire to the shipping company that will come for the pick up at your place via western union money transfer and get back to me with best time for pick up today and also western union details...Note you will deduct out western union charges out of the rest funds after deducting your own money and extra $100 that i promise you.

Here is the shipping compnay information that you need to send the rest funds to Via western union. Name : Tinh Dang Address : 326 S. 56th Ave City : Monterey park State : CA Zipcode : 91755 Email : [email protected] I will like you to email me western union details that you use to wire the rest funds. Sender's Name Amount Sent after western union charges Mtcn 10 digit control number Best time for pick up at your place. Get back to me once you see this message. Thanks for your understanding.

You really have to ask? SCAM

i get this kind of scam email every time i post something on craigslist for more than $100.

it says something like, "please remove the item as an act of good faith that you have chosen me to sell it to. i am out of town but am really interested in your (insert item here)" i've actually gotten the same email more than once.
i just reply with some insane things like it will cost 3 extra monkey heads. its funny to see them still trying to be serious defend themselves

Back