CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome! Is there any purpose to have an area for a buzzer and also led display which relay is actuated?

I do not think that there is need for a buzzer? It is already wireless device which you can control from you smartphone from living room and all notifications can be customized there. About the LEDs, this is also in the app plus you can connect 12V leds to the output together with the relay so I think there is no need to make additional output for that?
Buzzer and special LED outputs used to be on ArdBir board, I actually never soldered buzzer there and I connected leds just for testing as you had also indicator on LCD what is ON.

that's fair, if I wanted to add a buzzer to the board, will you make the layouts available? Haven't been able to play with he app yet but will alarms go off like the regular "alarm" app or do you have to be looking at it/have it open?

well you can actually use one of the outputs to connect a buzzer without problem, but I am not sure if software will support buzzers, maybe, you have to ask Manuel :)
About the alarms I am not sure, I was testing with PC, you would have to check it and maybe give your thought to the author so he can implement some useful things. I would like to see implementation for I2C port for LCD :) I have seen someone has done that already by his own but library is missing.

The new board looks great. It should be very flexible for controlling everything. I'm currently using a Brewtroller controlling 4 outputs (2 elements and 2 pumps) with 4 temp sensors. I've been following Craftbeerpi development along as a possible upgrade path.

final look of the more advanced board (5 temp sensor sockets and 6 output sockets)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/terragady/CraftBeerPi/master/v4.1 PCB_3D.png

WARNING for those who bought smaller boards from me already, please make sure that you put flyback diode (1n4007) in right direction as showed on the silkscreen on PCB (there is small white band on one side), otherwise you will burn everything. Please check before connecting power source. This diode is for safety and prevent self-destruction but only when connected properly.

Have a nice weekend! :)

I wasn't 100% sure this would work since the RPi3B wasn't listed as compatible hardware (but is compatible with WiringPi) and I also wasn't sure what extra packages I would have to install on top of lite to make craftbeerpi work (turns out only git). But, I wasn't about to buy the outdated RPi2B for the same price and I only had a 4GB microSD handy (full raspbian is above 4GB now).

I already had some temp control for my HLT, but I wanted to start and monitor it from the office so that my water was ready to go when I got home. So having this awesome WebUI, port forwarded, seemed like a magical fit. Plus I've been looking for an excuse to by a pi for a while now.

I downloaded Raspbian Jessie Lite here, and followed the instruction here to make my microSD card. No problems.

My Pi arrived in the mail, and I hooked up a monitor and keyboard, power it up and edited the WPA supplicant to get online.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
To make it look like this:
Code:
country=CA
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=net dev
update_config=1
network={
ssid="YOUR_NETWORK_SSID"
psk="YOUR_NETWORK_PASSWORD"
}
Then I rebooted and installed craftbeer pi
Code:
# update apt-get package lists
sudo apt-get update

# install git (need to do above in order to install git)
sudo apt-get install git

# upgrade existing packages (now you can say 'no' in first step of craftbeer pi)
sudo apt-get upgrade

# fetch craftbeerpi 
git clone https://github.com/manuel83/craftbeerpi

# install craftbeerpi (say no to update/upgrade to save time)
cd craftbeerpi
sudo ./install.sh
I also said 'no' to gembird, because I don't plan on using one.

Opened my web browser and typed "http://<RPi IP ADDRESS, eg 192.168.0.100>:5000/" into a web browser and voila, it worked! You can get your RPi IP address by typing ifconfig into the RPi terminal. Also, once your computer catches up on the DHCP hostnames you can start using "http://raspberrypi:5000/"

I checked the test GPIOs with a meter and they also worked. So my next step is to solder up a small perf board with some connectors for my temp sensors and relay. I'll edit this post with a pic when I get that finished.

All told, about an hour! Two if you stare at the screen while WiringPi downloads (very slow). Honestly it was so easy, I'd encourage any homebrewer with even mediocre computer and wiring skills to give this a try. This was my first Raspberry Pi experience, I'm impressed.

Thanks Manuel!!!!!

I wasn't 100% sure this would work since the RPi3B wasn't listed as compatible hardware (but WiringPi is, so I figured it should be good) and I also wasn't sure what extra packages I would have to install on top of lite to make craftbeerpi work (turns out only git). But, I wasn't about to buy the outdated RPi2B for the same price and I only had a 4GB microSD handy (full raspbian is above 4GB now).

I already had some temp control for my HLT, but I wanted to start and monitor it from the office so that my water was ready to go when I got home. So having this awesome WebUI, served up on a pi and accessed through a VPN, seemed like a magical fit. Plus I've been looking for an excuse to by a pi for a while now.

I downloaded Raspbian Jessie Lite here, and followed the instruction here to make my microSD card. No problems.

My Pi arrived in the mail, and I hooked up a monitor and keyboard, power it up and edited the WPA supplicant to get online.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
To make it look like this:
Code:
country=CA
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=net dev
update_config=1
network={
ssid="YOUR_NETWORK_SSID"
psk="YOUR_NETWORK_PASSWORD"
}
Then I rebooted and installed craftbeer pi
Code:
# update apt-get package lists
sudo apt-get update

# install git (need to do above in order to install git)
sudo apt-get install git

# upgrade existing packages (now you can say 'no' in first step of craftbeer pi)
sudo apt-get upgrade

# fetch craftbeerpi 
git clone https://github.com/manuel83/craftbeerpi

# install craftbeerpi (say no to update/upgrade to save time)
cd craftbeerpi
sudo ./install.sh
I also said 'no' to gembird, because I don't plan on using one.

Opened my web browser and typed "http://<RPi IP ADDRESS, eg 192.168.0.100>:5000/" into a web browser and voila, it worked! You can get your RPi IP address by typing ifconfig into the RPi terminal. Also, once your computer catches up on the DHCP hostnames you can start using "http://raspberrypi:5000/"

I checked the test GPIOs with a meter and they also worked. So my next step is to solder up a small perf board with some connectors for my temp sensors and relay. I'll edit this post with a pic when I get that finished.

All told, about an hour! Two if you stare at the screen while WiringPi downloads (very slow). Honestly it was so easy, I'd encourage any homebrewer with even mediocre computer and wiring skills to give this a try. This was my first Raspberry Pi experience, I'm impressed, thanks Manuel!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkvHHkWmKSY[/ame]
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

final look of the more advanced board (5 temp sensor sockets and 6 output sockets)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/terragady/CraftBeerPi/master/v4.1 PCB_3D.png

WARNING for those who bought smaller boards from me already, please make sure that you put flyback diode (1n4007) in right direction as showed on the silkscreen on PCB (there is small white band on one side), otherwise you will burn everything. Please check before connecting power source. This diode is for safety and prevent self-destruction but only when connected properly.

Have a nice weekend! :)
Nice job. Do you plan on releasing the gerber files for the new version?

So as I'm looking at this, I notice there is no footprint for the relays, is this because you have the buck down module therefore you'll be actuating SSR's off board? Just making sure I'm clear.

Yes you have to wire SSR's or small relays outside the board. That's probably better as mostly people use SSR for some things and it makes board smaller as well.

This will probably replace my old ardbir setup in my main rig :) I just need to plan everything and make some new box etc. Hope I can get LCD through I2C interface with main info about temps, time etc, then It would be perfect.

it is written "for arduino" but that should be the same, and I can see on youtube or other sources that it works. If not it is just a half buck :)

For the code that is available on the German forum for the lcd is it coded for an i2c hookup?

well I do not know what is on the German forum :) can you provide a link? My German i bad but maybe I will get something. I have seen only a pics on FB site that it is connected through I2C. I do not see how you can connect it otherwise. It will take so many GPIOs.

Looking at the diagram I can see no external power source for the kettle as you'd have in the brew pi. I assume the USB cable into the pi can't provide eight power for a 13 amp plug on a kettle?

looking at the rev 2.1 board (red) there are 4 I2C pins, i'm assuming those are for LCD?

2.0? sorry, i forget exactly which one, the one you sent me. yeah, i figured that's what it was for.

3.0 or so I guess :) But anyway on every board is I2C bus, doesn't take much space but might be useful for the future.

You're right 3.0... is there a chance you can add an spot for a physical "E-stop"?

what is e-stop?

EDIT: oh right, emergency stop, so you can just put normal switch to your power cable, you can even buy emergency switch

Right but an input to the software for estop would be pretty great so you can pause process and resume.

so you want physical button to use stop in the software? For this you can add button to I2C for example. I am not sure but probably you can also add button directly to GPIO. But all this need to have software support.

Yeah, could be added to gpio, how hard would it be to integrate into your software? Yes, a physical one is great, for sure, and easy. But a software version would also be helpful.

software is not mine, i have completely no connection with software, i just designed a PCB. I thought you want physical button not button in the software. I believe there is already one inside software where you can pause and resume.

Back