CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess you can, you can basically use any NPN transistor which will saturate with given current and be more than lets say 500mA
you can also use some mosfets but then the pinouts might be different

2n3906 is PNP not NPN. I have never used them to I do not know but if they meet requirements they should work, just check datasheets and compare to bc337 for example, check maximum ratings. In our case there are no high currents or voltages here.

Sweet, looks like 2n3904 is a suitable replacement for the bc337, it saturates at 200ma vs the 800 of the bc337. The only change is that it needs to be rotate 180 degrees when placing it on the pcb and looking at silkscreen orientation.

800mA is not a saturation from base, its a current limit collector-emitter i think, so basically how much SSR can draw which is fine because it use ~20mA.

you're right, it seems the data sheet only talks about base-emitter saturation from the voltage standpoint.

that you can calculate, but if its similar to bc337 you are fine, take notice that GPIOs from raspberry are 3v3 only and 20mA max. But still most of transistors would work. You could have a bigger problem with MOSFETs but there are also logic level mosfets which will work.

yeah, all looks good on both ends, i'll try with these while bc337's arrive on the slowboat from china and i will update.

I just ordered a set of terragady's pcb from Dirt Cheap.If anybody is interested in getting one comment on this post. I price them just enough to cover postage and to break even. I will send a board to terragady so there should be 7 to 8 boards available.
Version 4.1
61c6b18550d271a5b5687b6fb00fee0a-25399_top.png

61c6b18550d271a5b5687b6fb00fee0a-25399_bottom.png

Last edited:
Nice to hear that someone is using my designs :)
I am not sure what this PCB house is making but check if it is not toxic, I heard some has toxic components and heavy metals on surface like lead. Dirty Cheap is also a prototyping (i think you have chosen this option) so not all of them may work, please double check this although design is pretty straightforward with huge distances between traces so should be fine :) Let me know how they did it!

Nice to hear that someone is using my designs :)
I am not sure what this PCB house is making but check if it is not toxic, I heard some has toxic components and heavy metals on surface like lead. Dirty Cheap is also a prototyping (i think you have chosen this option) so not all of them may work, please double check this although design is pretty straightforward with huge distances between traces so should be fine :) Let me know how they did it!
Thanks for the blessing and sorry for not giving you a proper slap on the butt -it is college football season- earlier on in this thread.Not sure about Dirt Cheap's environmental practices,and I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Chinese crew spent the off season hunting whales. disappointed, but not surprised. They put out what they advertise- Cheap PCB boards.I got the thumbs up from a respected member of this site about the quality of the boards, so I confident the pcb manufacturing part of this project is solid.The lead content ,dolphin killing part I'm interested in but have know Idea.

haha right :) I didn't mean about practises and environment what they have there, I meant your safety to NOT be poisoned by some additives or heavy metals. Sounds ridiculous but actually very small traces of some compounds might be bad for you. I work in molecular biology lab and we had cases of such things.
Other than that I hope you will be happy with the boards, I heard that Dirty Cheap are doing nice job but if you have some complicated boards then it happens that not every board is working (not this case).

I would love to have your feedback back so I can improve the board for future use.
I actually cannot decide what to use for my main setup, stay with ArdBir with dutch software or move to CraftBeerPi. I might try to use RaspberryPi Zero and check if it will be enough to run the software. I have pretty small and easy setup. One pot, one mesh basket, pump and heating element of 2kW. (plus plate chiller, hopstopper etc).

quick question, when orienting the mp1854 on the on the board there's in+ and in- and out+ and out-. where do the out + and - go? I think + goes to 5V pin2 (L/R from "top") ansi'm not sure where out- goes.

Also, are there any Kernel mods that need to be done in order to use different pins for 1wire?

both "-" are ground, same ground, it doesnt matter. You just need to worry about "+" so +IN is 12V and +OUT is 5V, double check with multimeter if there is 5V on output, if not you have small screw there to regulate it. It is pretty stable. I love those small bucks :)

I might try to use RaspberryPi Zero and check if it will be enough to run the software.
The only problem with the Zero is all of the things you need plugged into it to make it functional. The dongle setup is as big as the Zero is. It definitely seems to be enough to run control software and a web server (have tried with others.)

The only problem with the Zero is all of the things you need plugged into it to make it functional. The dongle setup is as big as the Zero is. It definitely seems to be enough to run control software and a web server (have tried with others.)

finally you just need only a wifi adapter (or LAN adapter) together with USB adapter and thats it.

right, but zero is quite cheaper (or free sometimes), that was my point, not a size.
and nowadays you can get very tiny wifi dongles, like smaller then USB itself :)

So I installed the package on a raspi and I'm having a ***** of a time getting it working. It seems as though the installation worked just fine I'm just not able to access the website (http://:5000) and when I run Sudo python runserver.py it ****s out a bunch of module errors

Latest posts

Back