CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, so I have a sad news which SHvanBommel discovered. CraftBeerPI can use only one GPIO (default GPIO4 but you can easily change it in for example install.sh editing pin number in 2 lines) for temp reads so only parasite mode. I was not aware of this as someone here wrote that it is opposite, that you can't use parasite mode.
For those more familiar with kernels and some programming that is fixable by editing kernel or using this script https://github.com/danjperron/BitBangingDS18B20

As for my v3 boards you just need to change this GPIO and use one of the temp ports only. you can still connect 2 sensors just by plugging them together to one port, this is not a big deal here but for advanced board v4 this might be a bigger problem, fortunately they didn't arrive to me yet so I didn't test them so no one got them, I will change wiring and order new one as this will be easier for most of you who do not want to dig in kernel or adding additional scripts.

EDIT: ok, for people who already did v4 there is simple solution due to good components layout, you do not solder R6, R9, R10, R11. Instead you solder wire from R1 to the data pin on others, so connect all data lines and you can also scrap some cooper to disconnect all but one from GPIO but this is not necessary.

I'm confused. So CraftBeerPi uses one wire DS18B20 in parasite mode? I thought the magic with one wire DS18B20 was each sensor has it's own address and all of the sensors can be connected to one single GPIO and the software would separate the sensors.

^yes, you're right. that is the magic of the 18b20 sensor. I'm not sure why they were split to begin with but i have seen the smoke that's been blowing around about sensitivity/collection rate would be fast but I can say with confidence, from experience that you can run 5 sensors (at least) off a single pin with a 2 second refresh rate with no problems. As far as adding more sensors i'm not sure wha the top out is. I will say as i continue to look into this, the max refresh is 1.2 Seconds on each sensor. Who needs that many data points anyway? not me.

^yes, you're right. that is the magic of the 18b20 sensor. I'm not sure why they were split to begin with but i have seen the smoke that's been blowing around about sensitivity/collection rate would be fast but I can say with confidence, from experience that you can run 5 sensors (at least) off a single pin with a 2 second refresh rate with no problems. As far as adding more sensors i'm not sure wha the top out is. I will say as i continue to look into this, the max refresh is 1.2 Seconds on each sensor. Who needs that many data points anyway? not me.
So the v4 board is good- You only need to hook up all of the sensors to one of the sensor pads -the one that connects to the proper GIPO pin on the rpi that the software uses.

Yes, that's the solution terragedy came up with in his earlier post. I have 4 sensors spliced together on the v3 board with no problems, righnow.

So the v4 board is good- You only need to hook up all of the sensors to one of the sensor pads -the one that connects to the proper GIPO pin on the rpi that the software uses.

yeah it is working but you can't just use all temp screw in inputs. So it is kind of affected. As I wrote you can skip some resistors and just put some wire there to connect data line to all the other sensors and it should work as it intended to.

yeah it is working but you can't just use all temp screw in inputs. So it is kind of affected. As I wrote you can skip some resistors and just put some wire there to connect data line to all the other sensors and it should work as it intended to.
Thats how I was going to hook them up anyways.I never did understand why there were so many ds18b20 pads on the board.I will only use one pad on the board ,solder in header pins and run DuPont wires to an panel mount RJ11 jack. then run a phone wire with a RJ11 4 way splitter to the ds18b20s. This way you only have one wire coming out of the CraftBeerPi box.

To be honest, nothing i've read online says that the DS18B20 changes modes, the way it measures temp is the same, no matter what. I think what "parasitic mode" refers to is the way it get it's power. fwiw.

To be honest, nothing i've read online says that the DS18B20 changes modes, the way it measures temp is the same, no matter what. I think what "parasitic mode" refers to is the way it get it's power. fwiw.
What GIOP pin does the software use for the ds18b20? This is the wiring diagram for CraftBeerPi so it looks like pin one = power,pin 6= grnd, pin 7 = data
Hardwaresetup.png

DS18B20 parasite mode
DS18B20_parasite_mode.png

Yeah but what is this really addressing? Merely that it uses the Vcc to drive the logic as well, like a parasite. I'm not sure i'm explaining that right but all i'm saying is that it doesn't make a difference re: multiple sensors on 1 wire. Also, yes, Physical Pin 7

I've designed a PCB with a single input for DS18B20, breakout for LCD2004 Breakout, Buzzer, and 6 12V outputs for elements, mash stirrers, pumps, etc. i'll be having them made and I think i'll have 10 available.

EDIT: I should say I also have a separate breakout board if people want a clean way to tie all their cables together. let me know if interested.

yes you are all right. Maybe I shouldn't do them like this at the first place, but I was wrong because I read somewhere that craftbeerpi can't work on parasitic mode (that means sharing one data pin). Then everything should be fine, still for next board which I will upload soon will change all that to one GPIO only for people who want it straight away from the board.

I read somewhere that craftbeerpi can't work on parasitic mode (that means sharing one data pin).
Parasitic mode is when the probe is powered from the data lead. Parasitic or powered, you can run multiple one-wire probes from the same data pin according to the One-wire specification. Whether CraftBeerPi can support more than one probe I cannot say.

yes yes different naming, all is sorted now in my head :) there is nice comparison http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/arduino/arduino-ds18b20-temperature-sensor/

I think leaving more than one port for temp sens might be good as some people prefer that way to connect them. (on the board they can be from 1 data pin of course)

GPIO4 is only a default for 1Wire. It can be easily changed either by editing one text file or changing install.sh script before installing CraftBeerPi. There are 2 lines with defining the 1Wire pin.

default is GPIO4 but thats no problem as it is easily changeable
GPIO4 is from other side of the bus so this is more convenient for this build to use another one.

GPIO4 is actually not what CBP is calling for but 1-Wire protocol is set to GPIO4 by default.

Here https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi/blob/master/install.sh
you just change number in line 89 and 113

Concerning the 4.1 boards on order. These boards will work but will need software wamerjammer that is only a few lines of code to direct the software to the correct rpi GIPO.
I understand if you want to back out and let things settle and see what a new developer with a better understanding of CBP has to offer. theses boards will still work. Let me know

Used to build little black boxes for Uncle Sam. If you want to hold on shipping me yours until you've had a chance to try mine, I'm ok with it.

Last Friday a release a new beta of version 2.2. This verison contains a Fermentation controller.

Cheers,
Manuel

4.1 will work, no worries, you can attach the install.sh script with changed values to the board and one will only replace that on his sdcard.
There is also other method, after installation etc you edit one text file on sdcard and put there one line of code. That is super simple.
The same thing will be with 4.2, you will have to change this, but 3 ports are connected to one GPIO, in 4.1 every port is connected to different GPIO so 4 of them are useless for time being. We can actually ask manuel to put in install.sh script option to choose your GPIO like:
"Do you want to change your 1-Wire GPIO from default?" that would be easy too :)

EDIT:
And come on! If someone is already doing his own controller, soldering components etc should be able to change 2 numbers in given file :)

Right so when you do the gpio=4 in the file, can you say gpio=4, gpio=6 etc or what's the syntax for that?

no, you can have only one port assigned to gpiopin as this is only one variable. There is a method to use more than one port but for this you need either use the script which I mentioned above and implement it to the CBP software or change some stuff in the kernel and then compile the kernel.

Just to let everyone know Microcenter has the RPi zero for $0.99. I picked one up to try with CBP.

Back