Crack in my fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boochuckles

Reaction score
I don't have a clue how this happened. I only have one Big Mouth Bubbler I use to ferment and secondary in. I have a 5 gallon bucket to hold my beer while I clean out the BMB. Yesterday I started secondary and I think I may have cracked it while I was cleaning it. I use warm water for the sanitizer and after transferring back to the BMB the beer was still cool. I am making a raspberry ale and at secondary you add frozen raspberries. My other thought is the temp dropped too quickly and it cracked. Either way I need to know 2 things, should I leave it alone for the next 4 day like the recipe says or get it out if there. And then when its empty is there any way I can save it?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1430517742426.jpg

View attachment 1430517755312.jpg

YIKES! Think I'd carefully put a piece of duct tape over that crack to help shore it up until I could get that brew outta there!

Yup. Get it out. Those big mouths are notorious for "exploding" and doing serious damage to flesh.

Get a bucket fermentor and transfer. A crack will lead to oxygen and potential baddies getting. It may not be leaking now, but you DON'T want to risk if.

Check this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=376523

Nope! Just tried duct tape, it won't stick. Its too cold and/or damp no matter how many times I wipe it off...

Super Glue?

I can't just run out and get another fermentor. What can I do in the mean time?

Put it in a milk crate or something similar that you can lift without touching the fermenter. That way if it shatters, you'll be much better off. If its not leaking, you don't have as much of a chance for oxygen getting in. Personally, I'd probably let this one ride it out in a place that I'm ok with getting beer on the floor in something that can contain the glass.

Don't do anything. Do not pick it up while it's full of beer under any circumstances.

Pick up another fermenter - worst case, a bucket with a gasketed lid - and then rack the beer with a siphon. Then chuck the BMB...

Cheers!

^this. Don't touch it. Let it ferment and when done just rack out as much as you can before lifting it at all...

OK so there is wort/beer (idk what to call it at this point) in the bottom of the fridge. So leave it alone or transfer it?

you could try to glue it or silicon it to prevent it from leaking more. Moving it could shatter it so I wouldn't do that.

If you've got a stainless pot that is big enough, clean it out good and transfer as soon as you can. Then you can cover it with saran wrap as a temporary seal. I'd be looking to get it out of that BMB as soon as possible. It's worth the risk of contamination since it may just shatter anyway.

If you've got someone to help you lift it, you could pick up the BMB gently, smoothly and quickly and set it in a large Rubbermaid container to at least minimize the mess it will make if it breaks or leaks.

From the picture it looks like the crack is near the top of the carboy. Therefore, there cant be THAT much pressure on it from the inside to cause it to shatter. UNLESS YOU TRY TO MOVE IT!!!!! Don't touch it, transfer to something else as soon as possible and just deal with the small leakage until that point. A slow leak is much better that 5 gallons of sticky beer/wort everywhere mixed with your blood. Worse case scenario is you lose the gallon or so of beer above the crack if you cant transfer right away.

Please be careful! Maybe have a couple people help and slide it onto a board or something. Wear gloves or something. Please don't lift from the top or touch it while carrying it or try and lift it from the glass. Yikes. I hope you can save the beer man! But do be careful

I've heard nothing but horror stories with these Big Mouth fermentors. Sigh.

I would try to tape, hot glue or super glue until you can transfer the beer.

No leaking over night. I'm going to let a sleeping dog lie and wait it out. When it's time to bottle I'll figure out how to siphon it out in that mini fridge

What are these horror stories? I love this thing! It's so easy to clean and transfer in and out of. I'd buy another one for sure.

The glass is too thin so they break easily and people get cut bad by them.

No leaking over night. I'm going to let a sleeping dog lie and wait it out. When it's time to bottle I'll figure out how to siphon it out in that mini fridge

What are these horror stories? I love this thing! It's so easy to clean and transfer in and out of. I'd buy another one for sure.

They make plastic ones now!

[...]What are these horror stories? I love this thing! It's so easy to clean and transfer in and out of. I'd buy another one for sure.

Check out this thread, where you'll find lots of Northern Brewer's handiwork :eek:

attachment.php

Cheers!

Do not try to move it full! Siphon the beer out then carefully move it to your trash can.

If you want to seal it to allay any concerns, put some RTV on it, smeared with your finger.........Gently!

For those not familiar with it, RTV stands for "room temperature vulcanizing", and it just LOVES to cure in the presence of humidity!

It'll stick to the glass, no problem.

It's not a repair, just to seal it up whilst it finishes, then siphon where it sits.

grab a roll of cling wrap or plastic wrap and put as many layers as you need in order to feel comfortable that it won't explode before you can transfer to a different fermenter.

Also, don't pick it up.

Siphoning tomorrow and its been pretty good so far. I'm wondering about the process though. I hope I can get the stopper out without much effort and little movement

BE CAREFUL. I have 2 BMB's and love them, but they are eggshell thin. Emailed NB about it, and they sent me a replacement G2 BMB. MUUUUCH better.

Again, BE CAREFUL, you will be fine.

Emailed NB about it, and they sent me a replacement G2 BMB. MUUUUCH better.

What did you have to say/do for them to correct it? I would love to keep using one but I just can't afford to buy another one. 30 weeks pregnant and brewing expenses are become less important...

I only use plastic buckets for my fermenting for this reason. If you move the whole carboy I would get it down into a plastic tote so if it does go, the mess will be contained

I said that I absolutely love the product except for the fact that I'm taking my life in my hands every time I lift it. I sent them a link to the BMB horror thread here (to the picture above, actually), and said I want to support a NB product that I do think is innovative and solves a lot of brewing issues, but I don't want to die. I also said that I consider it defective and in need of a replacement.

The G2 I got was easily 5x thicker in the thinnest places (around the top).

Also, they make plastic BMB's that are great, but slightly taller and the 6.5 gals won't fit in my ferm chamber. I have a 5 gal and I'd recommend it. Folks complain about the lid, but I've had no issues.

Nicely done. Great pictures. Thanks for documenting this dance with disaster. Happy you are unscathed.

I wouldn't be so quick to get another BMB (new or old model) from NB. They have been knowingly selling this defective/dangerous product for years. I would ask for store credit and get some ingredients or other goodies.

I am still amazed no law suits have been filed on foot of these. Perhaps there have been only we are unaware.

FWIW, I have 3 galss Italian carboys which I am phasing out. Got a couple of SS fermentors coming in September hopefully (kickstarter campaign).

Anyway, thanks again for the great pictures. Interesting to say the least. Glad the outcome was ideal.

The BMB fits perfectly in my mini fridge. I bought another food grade bucket that will fit in there but I hate the fact that I can't see in them. I would have gladly spent more for a thicker glass BMB. NB should make them thicker and really market the fact that it can fit into a mini fridge without having to modify anything! It was a great upgrade from Mr Beer's LBK without having to spend too much.

Latest posts

Back