Covering & Protecting your carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camille

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good ideas to keep your carboy nice and dark, but also help carry it as well? Currently I'm putting a towel over them and I just ended up loosing a batch to setting it down too hard on my counter. The bottom of the carboy cracked, then broke apart and spilled all over the basement. I'm trying to find some sort of carrier online. I have tried the brew haulers, in fact the carboy I broke had it on.

If anyone has anything they like to use that would be great advice, thanks!

I have a handful of the smaller plastic milk crates. The 6.5 gallon carboys are a tight fit, but I don't have to sorry about setting them down too hard...

Still have the box my better bottle came in. The box upside down and the BB fit perfect in one of those old milk crates.

Dark and portable.

A brown bag with a hole in the bottom works great for 5 gallon carboys. That and a carboy handle.

I found carboy covers and carboy haulers, but nothing that combines the two. I guess you can use a cover and a handle though.

Honestly though, it doesn't sound like a hauling device would help. Nothing would protect it from being set down too hard except for carefulness on your end. My advice is just to be more careful and don't set it down too hard on a hard surface. I personally like to fold a towel and set my carboy on top of that just to be safe.

I have a handful of the smaller plastic milk crates. The 6.5 gallon carboys are a tight fit, but I don't have to sorry about setting them down too hard...

Milk crates are the bomb. I made some handles out of some strength appropriate rope and I keep in in my ferm chamber so I don't have to worry about covering it. But you could cover it with anything you want. This time of year I'd use a Steelers jersey. Go Pittsburgh! Sorry I had to sneak that in.

DSCN3375.jpg

A brown bag with a hole in the bottom works great for 5 gallon carboys. That and a carboy handle.

I don't believe carboy handles are meant to be used with full carboys, the neck might snap off. Just be careful and cover them with dark colored t-shirts.

Where did you guys get your crates from? I'd like to pick some up and wasn't sure if I should ask my local grocery store or if I can get them elsewhere.

I also use a milk crate and cover the carboy with a sweatshirt or t-shirt to keep the light out.

Milk crates are awesome.

I store my empty carboys in crates too.

I was using milk crates for carboys for a while, but without some kind of crafty rope maneuver like the above, the handles were killing my hands.

I picked up a couple brew haulers for half price and I would never go back. It makes picking up those heavy jerks a breeze.

Oh, and I cover with T-shirts too, with the handles sticking out. Makes it look like it has little arms.

I don't believe carboy handles are meant to be used with full carboys, the neck might snap off. Just be careful and cover them with dark colored t-shirts.

This is interesting/frightening. I never had that thought. I always carry mine up and down the stairs w/the handle. Anyone ever actually heard of the neck breaking off?

This is interesting/frightening. I never had that thought. I always carry mine up and down the stairs w/the handle. Anyone ever actually heard of the neck breaking off?

Aww man now that I read this I'm going to freak out when I go move mine...

Now I don't know the seller and Ive never seen one but I did see this the other day. Not sure how much I would trust it until I really look at it.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/6660211...a_search_query=carboy&ga_search_type=handmade

When full, break they will...never done it but I won't, either...the necks might be the weakest point of the carboy and lifting with a handle puts WAY too much pressure on a small point. Don't forget you've got 40+ pounds of liquid plus the carboy itself "hanging by a neck".

I use the handle but only when supporting most of the weight by the bottom. When empty, handle all day long.

Regarding the crate, I learned of this long ago, never tried it, but think I will next batch.

The crate idea is very good. I just need something that will help me carry it upstairs easier and not worry about the carboy slipping out of my hands. When I set the carboy down when I broke it, I'm pretty sure it slipped out of my hands right before contact. Just a little too hard of a drop, especially with all the downward force.

I've been looking over the net today for a product that combines the two needs, darkness and a carrier that can help pad the bottom, and handles, and I only came across one product. it looks like it's manufactured in Montana. Has anyone heard of this product? take a look: HoppyHuggers.com

I'm not sure if this is any value but it seems to be pretty good. It's like 30 bucks so if anyone has any advice on this, I'd really appreciate it! I'm thinking about getting one but has anyone ever bought one of these?

Hey Fox Runner it looks like the product for sale on etsy is the same product. a Hoppy Hugger. funny name!! I think I might look into getting one, it looks like they have sizes for 3 gallon, 5, 6, and 6.5. Not too bad.

Back