Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Vs Beer Guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Wanted to check and see if there is a general consensus as to which is better and why.

I have a "last straw" bottle filler with foamless finish accessory. I have used it enough to figure it out and make it work. I like it for the most part. I like that i can use it easily with one hand. One thing I dont like so much is when breaking the seal and taking the down tube out, a little more foam comes out than I'd like. I know capping on foam is good, which i can do, but theres more foam than i want. It's not a volcano by any means.

I'm wondering if the consist bleeder valve on counter pressure bottle filler, such as the one from morebeer.com is as good, better or worse.

A real counterpressure filler wins hands down. On the one hand filling with actual pressure in the bottle will always make the risk of a foam explosion considerably smaller, on the other hand a counterpressure filler allows you to purge the bottle thus reducing O2 exposure during filling, a beer gun just can't do that no matter how much CO2 you waste trying to purge an open vessel.

A real counterpressure filler wins hands down. On the one hand filling with actual pressure in the bottle will always make the risk of a foam explosion considerably smaller, on the other hand a counterpressure filler allows you to purge the bottle thus reducing O2 exposure during filling, a beer gun just can't do that no matter how much CO2 you waste trying to purge an open vessel.

This is pretty much my opinion also. That being said, the counter pressure filler I had was a pain to use so I got rid of it and use a beer gun.

So just curious about the purging O2 mechanics behind a counter pressure filler vs the last straw.

Last straw has a CO2 in line that fills with CO2. The foamless finish has a small relief button/hole to let air vent. When blocking this vent, you can build pressure.

Counter pressure filler has the adjustable spring relief valve, which to me is similar to the last straw.

How are the two really any different other than the counter pressure being more consistent with the relief valve.

I have the last straw and I'm trying to talk myself out of the counter pressure filler.

Sorry but I'm not familiar with this last straw thing, but if you can seal the bottle and build pressure then I'd say it is an actual counterpressure filler and not a BeerGun clone, although a more crudely built one.

Once again I am about to unveil my ignorance...
If, when using a cheap bottle filling tube from LHBS connected to a picnic tap, I allow the beer to rise to the top of the bottle, the headspace will fill with air. But as the carbonation "breaths" for a litle does the heavier CO2 not push the air out? Thus removing the O2?
I've filled hundreds of bottles from both kegs and directly from the fermenter and never have I had a problem with any kind of air/bacterial/wild yeasts or anthing else?
I don't understand all the hub bub.

Again, not trying to be rude, I'm just really don't get it.

Last edited:
Gases don't push each other out, they mix readily. Besides that, as the beer rises through the O2 contaminated bottle it will absorb oxygen and there's no getting rid of that or its effects afterwards.
As for not perceiving the effects of oxydation believe me, once you've tasted beer you made poured straight out of the pressurized fermenter you'll immediately notice the difference. It was quite an eye-opener for me as well.

The last straw does pressurize the bottle. Its awkward at first until you get the hang of it, and only as consistent as your thumb is over the vent hole in managing that pressure.

Like said above, gasses readily mix. Ifiquid touches air, it can absorb O2.

You need to first purge a bottle from the bottom with CO2. I dont think even doing that, that you're truly purging 100% of all the air. You're just doing the best you can to get most of the air (O2) out.

When you hear people talk about capping on foam, the foam is actual liquid. Its liquid bubbles filled with hopefully CO2. Liquid rising can push air out of the neck of the bottle, which you immediately cap. Use caps which have O2 scavenging ability to catch any last remaining O2.

Bottling cannot by definition be done in a O2 free environment. You can only do the best you can do to minimize it.

Back