Could use some help selecting paint for freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODP

Reaction score
As the title says, I'm looking to paint my chest freezer- there is no rust to worry about, but the white is just not looking right to me. I'd like to paint it, but need some help selecting paint!

I went to Home Depot and only found one type of spray paint made to be used on appliances. It's made by Rustoleum and they only had black. :(

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the right kind of paint to use?

I'd like to use some kind of spray paint, and if I don't have to sand it- even better! Anyone have any experience with this? I know some of you guys (and girls) have some AWESOME looking kegerators! How'd you do it?

That stuff works great on just about anything, I've used it on wood, metal, and dirty fiberglass. Give it a full day or two to dry, depending on how thick you lay it on and it wont come off any time soon. If you want to rough up the surface a little with some light sanding it wouldn't hurt. Just make sure what you spray it over is good and solid, if you spray it on a powder coated frig and the powder coat is coming off so will the spray paint. Its also cheap and easy to touch up if you scratch it.

same question here. I'm scared of the rustoleum black paint. it said I need to sand it all down... do I?

Hmmmm...we may have seen different kinds of paint- the kind I saw said to make sure it was clean? It didn't mention any other sanding...a quick search on homedepot's site doesn't show anything for "appliance paint". I'm heading there tomorrow to get some light bulbs, so maybe I can get some more info.

TBrosBrewing,

Sounds like you have a handful of experience with all of this! Thanks for posting...what do you think about painting the gasket? Safe or not?

I wouldn't, its flexible rubber. Besides the fact that I think you wouldn't get as good of a seal with the frig if its on the portion that seals, after the paint dries and the rubber starts flexing you will get paint flaking off the gasket. Just masking tape over it to reduce overspray. Also, follow the directions on the can about spray distance, it will take more paint but you will end up with a more even coating. If you get too close you will end up with run lines and it wont look as nice.

If your adding a collar, you could hide it behind that. Otherwise to color it you would have to stain it with something which in my opinion is more trouble than its worth.

I think you're right! So you've used the Rustoleum Appliance paint? Do you know of any other paints that come in other colors than black that would work?

I've only used the standard and contractor grade paints. Most any color they sell should be sufficient. I painted the base of my anvil with the regular and it takes a lot to get through that paint.

Sounds good! Do you happen to remember the brand and type of spray paint that you used? A link would be most helpful :mug:

I run Body shop and painting anything metal is kinda hobby of mine. A chest freezer can just be scuffed with a scotch brite pad if it's in perfect condition and there are no repairs or chips. Probably equilivant to 320 - 400 grits sandpaper would do the same. then any spray cans of paint, if the outiside is metal as most are you should just but some rattle can stuff from an auto parts store. 2-3 light coats to cover and then a coat or 2 of clearcoat. then you can wax it even...

I've only seen Black or White in the appliance paint. If you want white, look at another store for it because it is usually carried.

The stuff is amazing though. I once painted a chipped and rusted white door and it still looked brand new 3 years later when I got rid of it.

As far as the gasket is concerned, they sell those too. You could replace the gasket that you have.

I used the black appliance paint on my keezer a month ago. Be VERY careful with the overspray. I highly recommend spraying on a windless day in a large field. The overspray is like no other spray paint. It doesn't just quickly fall to the ground. It fills the entire room with a fine cloud and when it settles it puts a super fine coat of paint on EVERYTHING.

I did it in the unfinished portion of my basement (20'x15') and every inch of the concrete floor that didn't have something on it is coated in a super fine coat of black (unnoticeable until you move a box or whatever was there while I was painting). I was wearing old sandals while painting and my toenails STILL have paint on them. It does NOT come off.

It's fantastic stuff and it came out great. Durable, shiny, looks like a brand new freezer. But take the time to move the appliance outside. I wish I had.

I used the black appliance paint on my keezer a month ago. Be VERY careful with the overspray. I highly recommend spraying on a windless day in a large field. The overspray is like no other spray paint. It doesn't just quickly fall to the ground. It fills the entire room with a fine cloud and when it settles it puts a super fine coat of paint on EVERYTHING.

I did it in the unfinished portion of my basement (20'x15') and every inch of the concrete floor that didn't have something on it is coated in a super fine coat of black (unnoticeable until you move a box or whatever was there while I was painting). I was wearing old sandals while painting and my toenails STILL have paint on them. It does NOT come off.

It's fantastic stuff and it came out great. Durable, shiny, looks like a brand new freezer. But take the time to move the appliance outside. I wish I had.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this part of it. I actually painted mine IN PLACE for the first coat. I was redoing the kitchen at the time so it wasn't all that big of a deal but there were a few things that got that fine mist coating that I did care about. Couldn't really even see the white color it was so fine, but I could feel it when I ran my hands over it.

Took it outside for the second coat.

Thanks guys! I went to sleep after the night shift and wake up to see tons of advice! This is awesome...I'm about to make a trip to HD for some other supplies and will swing by the paint section to see what I can find...thanks again!

I thought I would luck out with the gasket and it would be on the bottom (and covered by the collar) but no luck! Any suggestion for a different kind of seal I could use?

That's true...hadn't thought of that- could be a lot of trouble though! I was hoping to maybe find something at HD that I could paint just as a test- if it works great, if not I can reinstall the original. Are they removeable?

I'm assuming that any freezer that needs a paint job is pretty much fully depreciated and not worth a bunch of money and doesn't need a rolls royce finish. What I woud do is clean the outside real well w/ a spray cleaner...windex...something that cuts dirt and grease. Then i would buy a qt can of oil based enamel paint and brush it on. Spray paint has it use, but you probably don't feel like dragging it 50 feet out of the house.

It is amazing the quality finish that you can get w/ oil base paint and a brush. I painted my metal garage doors a few weeks ago w/ a qt can of oil base enamel walmart brand paint and they look great.

Oh, and fwiw, clean and paint the gasket...it will stick if it is clean.

Basicly clean...put down newspaper or drop cloths and brush on a new finish. oil base enamel!

Not worth making a huge project...just clean it well and paint it. Ten bucks and an hour or two it'll look great.

I painted a 15.8 cu.ft. freezer that was very rusty with 1 quart of Rustoleum hammertone silver. It looks pretty good I think. You should have seen it before (ouch).

I would not bother with the spray. That was my first thought, but rolling it on was a breeze and the quart went a long way (this is one huuuge freezer). I even applied two coats.

Use a trim brush to cut in along the rubber seals, the ventilation slots, etc.

In my case, I attached a wire brush to my drill and took off all the rust down to the metal.

ps_stopsrust_hammered04.jpg

thanks for the detailed advice guys! I've been thinking about using traditional paint as I'd like to avoid getting other items sprayed that don't need to be.

That said, the freezer is already outside, so moving it out in the open wouldn't be too hard. Just wanted to add that, just in case the reason you guys that chose traditional paint chose that so you wouldn't have to move it outside!

Passedpawn, did you use a regular roller for the freezer and a brush for the corners, or did you use a brush for the whole thing?

One side note: This freezer is just under a year old- no rust to be dealt with so I'd like to use a method that doesn't require getting down to bare metal as it's not necessary- this paint job is purely for cosmetic purposes. :fro:

I also only plan on painting the outside- the inside is in great condition and is fine the way it is.

thanks for the detailed advice guys! I've been thinking about using traditional paint as I'd like to avoid getting other items sprayed that don't need to be.

That said, the freezer is already outside, so moving it out in the open wouldn't be too hard. Just wanted to add that, just in case the reason you guys that chose traditional paint chose that so you wouldn't have to move it outside!

Passedpawn, did you use a regular roller for the freezer and a brush for the corners, or did you use a brush for the whole thing?

One side note: This freezer is just under a year old- no rust to be dealt with so I'd like to use a method that doesn't require getting down to bare metal as it's not necessary- this paint job is purely for cosmetic purposes. :fro:

I also only plan on painting the outside- the inside is in great condition and is fine the way it is.

I don't like spray paint.

I used a very low nap roller for most of it. Trim brush to paint along the seals and other places where the roller would have been messy.

I had my sanded and painted in less time than I have spent answering your questions here. Just buy some paint and get it done.

I had my sanded and painted in less time than I have spent answering your questions here. Just buy some paint and get it done.

Okay Okay! I get the hint lol- I am thinking too much and just need to do it...it is only a freezer after all! :mug:

Thanks for the help!

LOL

It's raining cats and dogs here and I haven't made my paint purchases yet! There will be plenty of pics throughout the whole process...

The freezer is however sitting under a tarp in the bed of our truck- I hope the rain that does get to it damage it in some way? What are the chances of that?

Just wanted to chime in with my experience.

I had an old ugly white refrigerator and spray painted it with 2 cans of 'Appliance Paint' from home depot. It honestly looks like a brand new refrigerator!

You can check it out on This Thread.

+1 on doing the painting outside, everything in my entire garage has a slight black tint to it now, and I even had the door completely open!

Back