Correct CO2 Pressure for Chill on Demand System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuateBrewer

Reaction score
I just got a commerical draft system put into my bar, which the vendor set up, however, I have no trust in that they did it correct.

Here's what I have, a 2 keg system with the kegs sitting at room temperature, with the beer lines (which is not the 3/16" beverage line, just regular food grade tubing) running into a chilling unit - like a big jockey box but wit a compressor instead of ice and then into the towers.

They set the CO2 pressure at 40 PSI - the product is not foaming up excessively, and seems to be pouring at proper rate, however, the product seems to be a little more carbonated that I would like.

That said 40 psi does not seem that out of line for a room temperature keg right?

Which temperature would I look at when trying to set the pressure, the room temperature the product is at, or the final dispensing temperature to read the chart to determine the proper pressure for my desired carbonation level?

Thanks!!

Room temperature. I'd try backing off on the pressure 2 pounds at a time, until you reach a carbonation level you like. Give the system a day to settle out after each adjustment.

My experience is with a 2 line cold plate in a jockey box, while keeping the kegs on ice.

So totally useless in this situation. :D

I run the kegs at 25 PSI and the lines are 1/4" as is the stainless tubing in the cold plate.

+1 on the solution to drop 2 PSI and then pull the pressure release on the keg to equalize the headspace over a few days. May take a few days to a week to figure your desired PSI, but then your golden.

Back