Corona mill for apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewolero

Reaction score
So I came into a bunch of apples today that call for a cider, but I don't have access to a fruit press.

Could I grind these on my Corona mill? Or am I better off using a food processor and then manual pressing it in a colander?

Would love some thoughts and advice on the most DIY cider you can manage.

You don't want to mutilate them in a processor- that would be a mess to try to filter.

I just got a press. Before I had a press, I froze the apples (washed). Then, while still frozen, I put them in big sanitized mesh bags and in a sanitized fermenter. As they thawed, I smashed them up. I fermented them a few days, with enough water to cover, then pull out the mesh bags and squeezed. That was my "press", and it worked great. I did hundreds and hundreds of gallons of apple wine, cider, and crabapple wine that way.

The way the rednecks do it (or so I'm told) is to find an old kitchen sink and dispose-all. Sanitise the heck out of it (bleach maybe?) and connect the drain to a bucket. You'll certainly mash up the apples quickly that way...

Back