corny keg cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphair16

Reaction score
i just got 4 used corny kegs from a local soda distributer. when i release pressure i smell soda.what is the best way to clean the kegs? what should i do to the keg before i add my beer?

Disassemble them completely, including removing the ball lock posts (a 7/8" 12 point socket or closed end wrench will do the trick) and o-rings. Rinse thoroughly, and use some unscented detergent (OxyClean or Bar Keeper's Friend work well) and a long handled brush to scrub the insides down. Rinse and repeat until the inside is nice and shiny with no smell of soda remaining. Give the pickup tube a good rinse (it comes out as well) in the same detergent. Clean the fittings in the sink. If you like, you can scrub the outside of the keg with a mild abrasive cleaner (Bar Keeper's Friend) to shine it up a bit. Rinse everything VERY thoroughly. Reassemble with new o-rings and poppets.

The latest issue of BYO describes this in pretty good detail.

I agree. It is very important to replace all the rubber O rings and poppets as these really absorb the soda flavor and aroma.

Yuri_Rage said:
Disassemble them completely, including removing the ball lock posts (a 7/8" 12 point socket or closed end wrench will do the trick) and o-rings. Rinse thoroughly, and use some unscented detergent (OxyClean or Bar Keeper's Friend work well) and a long handled brush to scrub the insides down. Rinse and repeat until the inside is nice and shiny with no smell of soda remaining. Give the pickup tube a good rinse (it comes out as well) in the same detergent. Clean the fittings in the sink. If you like, you can scrub the outside of the keg with a mild abrasive cleaner (Bar Keeper's Friend) to shine it up a bit. Rinse everything VERY thoroughly. Reassemble with new o-rings and poppets.

The latest issue of BYO describes this in pretty good detail.
A good long-handled brush, which can be found really cheap, is a toilet brush. Just remember to keep your keg toilet brush and your regular toilet brush apart. :)

Back