Corney Kegs vs Torpedo Kegs (Morebeer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert McCoy

Reaction score
Hi y'all

As I previously posted I plan to kick my home brewing return after the first of the year & intend to take a portion of my tax return to offset the cost of getting into kegging rather than bottling. I saw that MoreBeer has 2 types of kegs the corneys & the torpedos . Can I get your thought on both I'll probably buy 3+. Thanks

Torpedoes come in smaller sizes and stack better. Torpedos cost 20 bucks more because they're new, for a 5g. I don't really see any other difference.

I have a mix of Torps and used Cornies. I have a slight preference for the Torps because of the lack of the rubber bottom, a slightly superior dip tube system, and they can be had in a narrow size that better fits my beer fridge.

I’m also looking at the Torpedo kegs mainly because they are stackable with the quick disconnects attached. Ideal solution for me to stack in my kegerator to allow me more variety.

If I had the money (I dont..), these would be nice! Sanke-D is the schiznit!

"PubJug by SABCO"

upload_2018-12-30_9-14-21.png

I've got half a dozen Torpedo kegs, also some Corny kegs. I've been gradually replacing the Cornies with Torpedoes.

In addition to the advantages noted above, the two different diameter-sizes allow greater flexibility. The shorter, squattier Torpedo keg can sit on the compressor hump of my keezer, allowing me to use that space for a keg or two. The skinnier ones allow for one additional keg to fit in the bottom of my keezer. And they're all ball-lock, so no fooling w/ pinlock kegs.

I can't recall the Torpedoes ever going on sale, but every once in a while Morebeer has either a percent-off sale, or something like $25-off an order of $150 or more. When I see that, I order a couple of Torpedoes. Two cost $190 (for the 5-gallon), but subtract the $25 and you're down to $82.50 each. When I buy 'em, I sell off a couple of cornies ($50 each) so upgrading costs me $32.50 per keg.

I've got half a dozen Torpedo kegs, also some Corny kegs. I've been gradually replacing the Cornies with Torpedoes.

In addition to the advantages noted above, the two different diameter-sizes allow greater flexibility. The shorter, squattier Torpedo keg can sit on the compressor hump of my keezer, allowing me to use that space for a keg or two. The skinnier ones allow for one additional keg to fit in the bottom of my keezer. And they're all ball-lock, so no fooling w/ pinlock kegs.

I can't recall the Torpedoes ever going on sale, but every once in a while Morebeer has either a percent-off sale, or something like $25-off an order of $150 or more. When I see that, I order a couple of Torpedoes. Two cost $190 (for the 5-gallon), but subtract the $25 and you're down to $82.50 each. When I buy 'em, I sell off a couple of cornies ($50 each) so upgrading costs me $32.50 per keg.

Now that's using your dipstick :yes:

I grabbed the four pack of used cornies from keg connection?? maybe a couple months ago. Relatively cheap and they all hold pressure just fine. One has seen some serious hits at some point in its life. All I had to do was replace o-rings, which came with. I have had no issues with them to date. I think I kind of like the rubber ends. It feels like a bit of protection when moving the kegs around or shaking them during carbonation.

I figured it was a quick way to get started somewhat inexpensively, but I love the idea of grabbing some torps of different sizes, so I can make better use of keezer real estate. I am also interested in the idea of brewing some smaller batches, so the smaller kegs might be nice rather than having to have a ton of headspace.

Back