Corney keg for conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
I usually leave my beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks and have found this works better than moving to a secondary fermentor. My question is this: I just started kegging and love it...if I have a brew ready to move from the primary to a keg, can I rack over and purge out the oxygen in the head space and leave the beer under say 10-15 psi for a period of time without hooking up to co2? I would keep the keg cold 35-38 and just consider it longer conditioning time? I would appreciate your experience and comments

Yep. I do this because my kegerator only holds 2 kegs but I like having a third ready to be swapped in once one is empty. Be sure to check the keg for slow leaks!

Absolutely do this. You can even leave it out at room temp. It will age a bit quicker, so depending on the beer that is good or bad. But many people do this.

I've started just using priming sugar in the keg and letting them condition and carb just like a giant bottle at about 70F in a dark closet. My kegorator also only fits two, but I own 4 kegs. Between the two kegs in the kegorator, two kegs conditioning and carbing, and four cases of bottles that are always in flux, I usually have a pipeline of 3-4 ready to drink beer styles from brewing about once every 2-3 weeks.

Back