Corn wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done it, but I LOVE Jack Keller's wine making website and he has tons of great recipes and ideas.

Here's his info on corn wine:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques89.asp

Freshly picked corn on the cob is so much better than ears of corn bought at the supermarket that the difference is like night and day. It is far, far sweeter, has much better texture, and is more tender. I can certainly understand why one would want to make wine from it. So, to answer Ron's question, yes, I have a recipe for making wine from fresh corn. The key is "fresh." Do not pick the corn until you are ready to make the wine. Then get right to it. This recipe is from Doris Beck of San Antonio, as reported by Dorothy Alatorre and adapted by the author.

CORN WINE 2
4 to 6 ears of freshly picked corn
2 lbs granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1-1/2 tblsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to 1 gallon
Sherry wine yeast
Put a large pot containing half the water on to boil. Meanwhile, clean the corn and cut it from the cobs. Cut cobs into 2-inch sections and put the cobs and corn in the boiling water. Boil for 15 minutes. Strain into the primary and add 1-1/2 pounds sugar to it, stirring until dissolved. Add remaining water to make up a gallon less one cup. Cover primary and set aside to cool. When at room temperature, add pectic enzyme, acid blend, tannin, and yeast nutrient. Recover primary and set aside 12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover. Stir daily for 7 days. Boil one cup of water and dissolve one pound of sugar into it. Set sugar water aside to cool, covered. Rack wine into secondary and add sugar water. Fit airlock and set aside for 30 days. Rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 60 days, rack, top up and again refit airlock. Set aside for 4 months, checking fluid in airlock from time to time. Wine should be clear. If not, treat as for starchy haze. Rack into bottles and set aside for 3 months. Will improve with further aging. [Adapted from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North America]

Question, do we really need the enzyme? Cause I can't get the enzyme or acid blend here...

No, but it breaks up the pectins to help the wine clear. Without it, the wine may remain hazy and cloudy and won't clear.

Acid blend is not a big deal- a squeeze of lemon is often good enough to replace the acid blend.

With these wines so far removed from grape, I have found adding the juice and zest of a lemon gives the acid, plus some extra structure you will really appreciate.

On another thread someone mentioned hibiscus flowers acting as a clarifier, so if you can pick and freeze petals, you could try adding those on your second racking. Not sure if they need to be processed first, though.

Latest posts

Back