Corn meal for flaked maize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a cream ale tomorrow. I want to use 1 or 2 pounds of flaked maize, but I don't have any. I do have some cornmeal. Doing a cereal mash, now much cornmeal would I need to get me to about the same number of gravity points? Is it a simple 1-1 sub? I've never done it before.

When your Cream Ale wraps up, be sure to post a pic. I tried a bare-bones recipe for a Cream Ale last summer, and it came out hazier than a... uh, um... really hazy idiom. Someone in my brewclub recommended steering clear of flaked maize and doing the cereal mash with organic corn grits instead.

When your Cream Ale wraps up, be sure to post a pic. I tried a bare-bones recipe for a Cream Ale last summer, and it came out hazier than a... uh, um... really hazy idiom. Someone in my brewclub recommended steering clear of flaked maize and doing the cereal mash with organic corn grits instead.

Oh, I have one on tap right now for a party next weekend. It's clear. I used 2 pounds of flaked maize and 1 pound of flaked rice and mashed at 150. I used whirlfloc in the kettle, but no other finings.

This one is for another party on June 12 (so I better get cracking!). I just spaced out flaked maize. I'm using Minute Rice for the flaked rice again.

How did the corn meal workout yopper? i'm going to try it and minute rice for the first time in a few days with some canadian 2 row i have left.

Back