Coriander!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Okay, I want to use coriander in my Hugh Heffe... it is great without it, but tasted a Heffe with it... OMG, I loved it. SO, anyone used it? Know how much? When? Thanks!

sweet, thanks, it adds a great dimension to the beer....

Grind the seeds up before adding them for maximum flavor release. I have done it both ways, adding 1/2 oz each time and it is much better when crushed.

Did you know coriander is just the seeds from a cilantro plant? I didn't 'till a few weeks ago when I ate some off a friend's plant. Yum!

Man, I hate cilantro, but I love coriander in my beer... I never knew, thanks for the trivia!

Next time I am using half the coriander and 2x the orange peel...

Hugh Heffe is a true Heffe... I just added coriander and orange peel to an exisiting recipe, which was, Hugh Heffe.

Professor Frink said:
True, you'd be breaking the Reinheitsgebot.

I know---and the last thing you want is for those jackboots to show up at your door and start smashing carboys with their gun stocks.

Evan! said:
I know---and the last thing you want is for those jackboots to show up at your door and start smashing carboys with their gun stocks.

I figure it would be like the two German guys in "Dude, where's my car."

Evan! said:
And thus, this new recipe is not longer a hefe. so there! ;)

I agree. Other than a change of yeast by the time we add corriander and orange peel havn't we made a Belgian Wit?

Anyway, I did a 5 gal extract belgian wit with 1 oz. sweet orange peel, 1/2 oz. bitter orange peel, and about 2/3 oz crushed corriander and it was perfect. But, I think some of the commercial examples of wit have a little too much corriander for my taste. I too crushed the corriander, not a fine grind, and added it at about 10 min. Good luck.

I ground my coriander pretty fine... so, that being said, I want less coriander and more citrus... I like the Sunset Wheat... I want it more like that.

Matt Foley said:
I agree. Other than a change of yeast by the time we add corriander and orange peel havn't we made a Belgian Wit?

Anyway, I did a 5 gal extract belgian wit with 1 oz. sweet orange peel, 1/2 oz. bitter orange peel, and about 2/3 oz crushed corriander and it was perfect. But, I think some of the commercial examples of wit have a little too much corriander for my taste. I too crushed the corriander, not a fine grind, and added it at about 10 min. Good luck.

could you post your recipe? I would really like to make this for my next batch.

noobrewer said:
could you post your recipe? I would really like to make this for my next batch.

It was a recipe from Beertools.com . I can't put my finger on it now but will try to find it when I get home tonight.

the last two brews called for bitter orange peel. On the back of the package it said to allow it to steep after the boil. I've also brewed recipes that called for a hop addition to steep after the boil. I also know it's important to chill the wort as quickly as possible after the heat is killed. So basically I've been allowing those additions to steep for as long as it takes me to smoke a cigarrete, then leaving them in for the first couple minutes of cooling. Does anyone know the proper way to let those last additions steep?

count barleywine said:
Has anyone ever added it to the secondary? I thought I read that somewhere in a wit recipe.

I did a wit last fall with 1 oz corriander crushed into the secondary with the zest of one lemon. I'll cut that in half next time although it is drinkable.

in one of my last "hefe's", I actually used a few bananas during the mash, and two vanilla beans during the cool....

with the weihenstephan yeast, it came out great!

Back