Copper IC cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesutton3

Reaction score
Before I do something I'm not supposed to and have all sorts of weird flavors in my beer, what kind of care and maintenance should I be doing on my copper IC?

When I'm finished using mine, I just blow through the hose to get all the water out of the tubing. I then drop it in a bucket of water with a very mild soap solution to get all the wort off. I use a light brush on it and then dunk it a few times, rinse it off, and put it away.

good scrub with vinegar and/or a 20 minute boil in water prior to using in yer wort.. i just went through the same thing

I rinse it off immediately after use.....and drain the water out of it, of course. That's it. Immersing it in the boiling wort 20 minutes before flameout keeps it nice & shiny.

My copper IC goes into the boil for last 30 minutes.

After the boil I save the first running from the IC (the hottest water) in a 6 gal bucket. When wort is cooled the IC goes straight from the kettle into the bucket of hot water. It soaks while I finish up. I rinse it and the bucket in the sink then dry both with paper towels then back to the 6 gal bucket for storage with lid.

I rinse it off immediately after use.....and drain the water out of it, of course. That's it. Immersing it in the boiling wort 20 minutes before flameout keeps it nice & shiny.

Zactly what I do...not sure what nasties can survive a 20 min boil... Rinse it and forget it....

Back