Coopers light LME vs. Briess Golden Light LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHD

Reaction score
I've done some searching and only been able to find some info on the comparability of briess to muttons.

The IPA recipe calls for Coopers but Briess is considerably cheaper. Any thoughts?

I would try it and see. It may be a little different but it surely will not make it bad. I have used Briess DME and LME of various kinds in substitution and addition in Mr Beer HME based 2 gallon recipes. Some very successful, most good, none undrinkable. The thing that makes the most difference for me is leaving it to mature a few weeks or months even (in bottle). I do not do secondary ferment, just bottle it and bottle self-carbonate it using 1 small sugar dot (2.5g = 1 tsp) per 200ml. but I am happy with the result.

It seems to me like Breisse golden/golden light makes a lighter amber orange than Cooper's by a wee bit. Just a little lighter.

Back