Coopers IPA extract kit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moy

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm pretty new to the home brew game so I've started out with the extract kits.
Started with the Caxton Golden Ale kit which came out lovely yet strong and blew my head off.
Instructions were pretty straight forward for that so even I couldn't get it wrong.
Problem I've got is I can't understand the instructions on the coopers tin as it's not in plain old English, what I'd like to know is do I just knock it up the same way I did the Caxton one? Six pints of boiling water add contents of tin with kilo brewing sugar then add X amount cold followed by brewers yeast or is there a different method?

It also states about bottling it where as with the Caxton I just transferred into a pressure keg and added a further 3 Oz of sugar and left alone til ready, is this the case with the IPA too?

Any advice greatly appreciated guys

It would probably help if you relayed what the instructions from the Cooper's kit say, even if its not in plane old English.

In all likelihood, you can do exactly what worked well for you with the previous kit though. Although with an IPA, there will likely be some hops to add (at least at the end of the boil, for aroma, if this is a kit with hopped extract).

The main thing to keep in mind is sanitation.

If you are kegging, then don't worry about the bottling instructions. You can also get away with not priming (adding sugar to) the keg, and just force carbing it.

most coopers kits are of the type that you add 6 gallons of boiled water with the kit and about 3 pounds of dme (light in this case).

I would boil about 2 gallons of water with some of dme for about 30 minutes with some hops at 30 and 5 minutes left for extra taste.

Back