Coopers Canadian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty

Reaction score
Hello all. Looking for some advice. Started my second batch of beer ever and had an early morning oops. Started the C.C.B. at 1.039 using Lallemand Nottingham yeast. Made the starter as per instructions, had my wort at 21°C and cooled the starter to that temp one oz of wort at a time every 5 min. Pitched the starter and sealed her up. 11 hrs later had vigorous action going on in the airlock which lasted almost 3 days. Had a nice 3" Krause on top and waited another 3 days. Took a gravity reading 1.008 and racked to secondary. 3 days later took another reading at 1.016 WTF!!
Obviously misread my hygrometer. It must've been 1.018 when I racked. Now it's been 18 days and it won't drop below 1.013. I tried swirling the carboy and bumping up the temp to 23°C which helped drop it to .013 but no further. It is sitting there with a dusting of Trub on the bottom and crystal clear. Is this batch garbage? Ideas on saving it?

Never done a coopers kit before but I would say bottle it up. 1.013 is respectable. At this point your more likely to suffer oxidation issues than anything.

What FG were you going for?

Never done a coopers kit before but I would say bottle it up. 1.013 is respectable. At this point your more likely to suffer oxidation issues than anything.

What FG were you going for?
Apparently a FG of 1.008 according to Coopers.

1.013 is probably where your beer will end up. Nothing wrong with that. That 1.008 is an estimate and sometimes the yeast has a different idea.

There is little to be gained from moving your beer to secondary and plenty to lose. Most of us on HomeBrewTalk have quit using secondary as it has been proven to really provide no benefit.

1.013 is probably where your beer will end up. Nothing wrong with that. That 1.008 is an estimate and sometimes the yeast has a different idea.

There is little to be gained from moving your beer to secondary and plenty to lose. Most of us on HomeBrewTalk have quit using secondary as it has been proven to really provide no benefit.
I'm just a little concerned about "Bottle Bombs"

I'm just a little concerned about "Bottle Bombs"

Thats a reasonable concern. At this point I would bottle it, maybe shoot for middle of the road carbonation and start testing a bottle every few days at a week and a half

Thats a reasonable concern. At this point I would bottle it, maybe shoot for middle of the road carbonation and start testing a bottle every few days at a week and a half
What do you mean by shoot for a middle of the road carbonation?

What do you mean by shoot for a middle of the road carbonation?

Sorry. That wasn’t a very clear response. Middle of the road carbonation for the style that your brewing. Most carbonation calculators will give you a range. If your really worried about bottle bombs then you can shoot lower.

Sorry. That wasn’t a very clear response. Middle of the road carbonation for the style that your brewing. Most carbonation calculators will give you a range. If your really worried about bottle bombs then you can shoot lower.
Ok. I was planning on using carbonation drops. 1 per 450ml bottle. Interesting side note, I read about degassing your sample (because I noticed it was way more bubbly than my first batch). After degassing, I got a hygrometer reading of 1.010

Latest posts

Back