Cooler MLT Leak Detection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angrybits

Mountain Medicine Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I installed a thermometer in my Igloo 10 gallon MLT and I am iffy about it leaking. Being a software guy, I don't consider something done until it's been verified, so it's killing me that if it's leaking, it's doing so into the insulation and will essentially never be discovered. I probably wouldn't be worried about it but I think I cut the hole just a hair big. Not much, but enough that I'm not convinced I'm getting 100% compression on the gasket where it needs it. Maybe 90%, maybe 95%. The problem is I don't know. Comfort me.

Drill a small hole in the bottom plastic of the cooler just under where the thermometer is mounted. Fill to a few inches above the thermometer, then wait to see if a puddle forms underneath.

Once satisfied, fill hole with some silicone caulk or something.... Glue, duct tape, chewing gum...

Back