Cooler MLT leaking at thermometer hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have used a cooler MLT for quite a few years. It has a battery-powered digital instant-read thermometer in the wall towards the bottom. That thermometer doesn't appear to work anymore, which isn't a big deal, but I have noticed a slow leak around the hole. What would be a good way to patch the hole if I just remove the thermometer?

One suggestion is to go with this and use an analog thermometer.

Another suggestion is to install a thermowell and use an inkbird to display the temperature.

I'm not a big fan of cheap digital thermometers.

IMG_0148.jpg

Thanks y'all. I bought this MLT used with the thermometer already in there. It's just jammed in a tiny hole in the side of the cooler.

I ultimately plan on moving to an electric HERMS system, so I don't want to sink too much into it if I can avoid it. I just don't want it leaking.

Last edited:
Re-reading thru this post, it appears that some of us assume that you have a plastic MLT while others assume it is stainless.

I assumed that it was plastic based on the term "cooler". If that's the case and it is a small hole, fill it with aquarium silicone adhesive and drive in a SS screw.

Re-reading thru this post, it appears that some of us assume that you have a plastic MLT while others assume it is stainless.

I assumed that it was plastic based on the term "cooler". If that's the case and it is a small hole, fill it with aquarium silicone adhesive and drive in a SS screw.
Yep - sorry for the confusion. It's an igloo cooler MLT.

Back