Cooked Belgian quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwearly

Reaction score
I made a Belgian dark strong ale a week ago and am afraid I cooked it. My fermentation location is in my basement (little cool for belgian) in a chest freezer. I have been using the light bulb heater (60 watt light bulb in a paint can) to increase the temp by a few degrees. Thursday night I turned it on, but forgot about it until the next morning and the temperature was up to 103°F in the chamber (probably much less in the wort). I immediately removed the carboy from the chamber, and there was no more airlock activity. I checked the SG and I was only down to 1.038 (started at 1.096) Beer calculus expects FG of 1.022. Any suggestions on finishing the fermentation? I am in the process of building the "aquarium temperature controller", so I will be sure to use that for my next recipe. Below is the recipe I used for a 5 gallon batch.

Specialty grains
1 lb Caramel 60L
1/4 lb extra special malt

Fermentables
10 lb light malt extract (60 minutes)
2 lb light brown sugar (15 minutes)
1/2 lb dark candi sugar (flame out)

hops
2 oz Fuggles (60 minutes)
1 oz Hersbrucker (30 minutes)
1 oz Hersbrucker (10 minutes)

White labs Trappist ale (WLP500) yeast cake from previous Belgian Dubbel

I think you might be right about cooking it. That yeast cake should have ripped through the sugar in a week, and get you under 1.020.

I'd brew a small beer and rack the quad onto that yeast cake to get things going again.

Thanks for the input, but not what I was wanting to hear. I think I will try agitating it to resuspend the yeast and see if it keeps going. I did some more research and it looks like it should be able to keep fermenting at high temperatures (up to 85°F).

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t248/Beer_Tour2/?action=view&current=WLP.jpg#!oZZ295QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs162.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ft248%2FBeer_Tour2%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DWLP.jpg
Beer_Tour2

If that doesn't work, I will try to make a more traditional starter (~1L on stir plate).

Back