converting fridge to tower kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spatter

Reaction score
Hi all, I have this fridge here 4.5 CU. Ft. Single Door Refrigerator — Stainless Steel Look - Perfect Aire (in black)
and I want to convert it into a dual faucet kegerator, and after I had my plan all thought out, bought a nice stainless tower I found out some of them have coils on top, so it's hard to just drill anywhere.
can anyone please tell me how to proceed here? also how do you guys typically seal off the holes that I need in the back? I want to route the lines though and also need a cable for this setup here. Amazon.com: Coldtower Kegerator Super Tower Cooler (Upgraded for MAXIMUM cooling): Home & Kitchen

please help me. you guys are like call before you dig. thanks,

open the door of the fridge and leave it open for 15 minutes or so, it cause the compressor to kick on. Now start feeling the top and sides.
It will be warm where the coils are, this will be a good start in locating them, when you feel confident, you can drill a small pin sized hole in the skin of it, then start poking around looking for lines. If for instance the sides are hot and the top is at room temperature, you are likely good to go, otherwise you might need to scrap that idea and go back to plan one, through the door.

open the door of the fridge and leave it open for 15 minutes or so, it cause the compressor to kick on. Now start feeling the top and sides.
It will be warm where the coils are, this will be a good start in locating them, when you feel confident, you can drill a small pin sized hole in the skin of it, then start poking around looking for lines. If for instance the sides are hot and the top is at room temperature, you are likely good to go, otherwise you might need to scrap that idea and go back to plan one, through the door.
thats a great idea. I think I have a thermal imager somewhere. will see if that helps. I sure hope I dont have to go though the door. I like this idea better.
thanks,

I guess I had it completely warmed up to defrost it anyways so I checked for warm spots, huge area on both sides got noticely warm but nothing on top even after 30min.
I guess I could drill a small hole and skin the top part with a hole saw and keep fingers crossed?
freezer shelf looks easy to bend down, that shouldn’t be an issue.
thoughts before I do this?

Slowly working on it. So far it’s been easy and I’ll be able to get in the kegs I wanted. With room to spare.
Tower should be here in a few days so I’ll proceed slowly.
7EC65101-7E13-45A9-B385-20A1A75BD874.jpeg

This is really great advice! I was going to say he should hold his breath while drilling. That's pretty good advice, but I think yours wins out by a little.

This is really great advice! I was going to say he should hold his breath while drilling. That's pretty good advice, but I think yours wins out by a little.
Yes awesome advice and I think I should be able to drill the top. I will be very careful though. I felt absolutely no temp change when I felt around. Was very obvious on the sides.

That looks really good!!!

Is the tower insulated or are you running a fan to keep the lines cold?

That looks really good!!!

Is the tower insulated or are you running a fan to keep the lines cold?
it had insulation in there but I took it out. using a tower fan. I'll post picture how it is now. but Im not done with that part.

I guess it's been a problem keeping temp stable on this thing, it keeps freezing on me. using an Inkbird now. put a wire tie on a can of beer and tried a few locations for it. if I put it on the bottom it gets a light freeze on top, on top it seems like the bottom isn't getting cold. I have the Inkbird set on 38 degrees with 2 degree offset and 10 min cooling delay.

Back