Converting an extract recipe to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyking95

Reaction score
While I have been all grain brewing for a while I have.n extract recipe I made a while back I'd like to convert to all grain. How is the best way to do that?

Thanks!

Jim

The easiest way is to replace light extract in the extract recipe with two-row, and keep all of the specialty grains the same. Normally, 1 pound grain = .75 pound LME = .6 pound DME.

The hard part would be if the extract recipe had dark or amber malt in it- since no one really knows what's in "amber extract", it'd have to be a bit of a guess.

Great and thanks. That makes perfect sense. I am doing a dark wheat so all the LME and DME was just wheat.

Thanks again

Jim

Great and thanks. That makes perfect sense. I am doing a dark wheat so all the LME and DME was just wheat.

Thanks again

Jim

I think wheat malt extract is usually a combination of 2-row and wheat. You would need to check the manufacturer's specs, but it is usually 50/50 or 60/40 (2row/wheat) I believe.

I think wheat malt extract is usually a combination of 2-row and wheat. You would need to check the manufacturer's specs, but it is usually 50/50 or 60/40 (2row/wheat) I believe.

Yes, that's true. I think Briess's wheat DME is 65/35. So use 65% two-row and 35% wheat malt to replace that.

Thanks and excellent. The liquid extract was from Muntons and it turned out to be 55% wheat and 45% barley (which I take is 2-row). The dry I used was 65% wheat and 35% barley.

Thanks again. Your help has been very helpful!

Jim

Back