Converting All Grain recipes to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
To cut a long story short, I've gone and made my first ever All Grain recipe today after a year or two of brewing from juices and extracts. I am totally hating it - it's way too time consuming and laborious for me. But hey, at least I've definitely found my level of commitment to the hobby. :)

Anyway, what sort of ratio would work for using Malt Extract in place of Crushed Malt? Or should I just blast in a can for each brew?

Any general advice here would be great!

My best advice for you in converting recipes is to get some brewing software. Generally you can switch out your 2-row with enough light DME to get the same gravity and be good. I don't know the numbers for conversion as I let Beer Smith do it for me. It was the best $20 I've spent on brewing related equipment.

1lb grain=.75lb LME=.6 lb DME

That will get you pretty close. Definitely get some brew software.

Software sounds good. My "rule of thumb" should suffice if not, after all, it's easy to bring up the OG if it's wrong :)

Thanks guys!

Back