Converting 30m boil recipe to 60m boil, impact of 30m additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Howdy,

I did a hopped mid-strength bitter (timings below) on a 30m boil (20L batch) due mainly to running out of time on that particular day - not being sure if the 30m bittering would also add significant flavour.

I am thinking of converting it to a 60m boil recipe for ramping up to 600L - as the bittering charge can be shifted to 60m and I won't need as many bittering hops.

Do I need to try and replicate whatever flavour impact the 30m addition was having (eg. by keeping a smaller 30m addition as well as 60m, or am I right in guessing the impact of both 60m and 30m addition (especially in a relatively hoppy mid-strength) is not significant on flavour.

Cheers!
B

Original 30m boil timings - 3.5% bitter, 20L (roughly 69% Maris, 15% munich, 7% rye, 7% crystal, 2% choc)
30m: 30g Styrian Goldings 5.4%
5m: 15g Ella, 15g Galaxy
Flameout 30m steep at 80 degrees: 35g Ella, 30g Galaxy
Dry hop: 15g Galaxy

I think I would still add a 30 minute addition. But if the beer turned out well I would just keep the 30 minute boil. I generally only boil 45, moving the 60 to 45.

I am thinking of converting it to a 60m boil recipe for ramping up to 600L - as the bittering charge can be shifted to 60m and I won't need as many bittering hops.

I've read but cannot prove that 90% of the bittering happens in the first 30 minutes. I do 30 minute boils and can't tell that there is any difference in the bitterness of the beer compared to when I did a 60 minute boil. You'll need to do your own experimentation to determine if that is true for you and then compare the cost for the 10% extra hops with the cost in time and fuel to boil for 60 minutes.

Back