Converted Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a dilemma and was hoping our trusty homebrewing community can weigh in here. I got a little nostalgic this evening and decided to try and convert my very first brew to AG. It was an extract kit for a Cream Ale picked up at my LHBS, which is where I started. I'll post both recipes. I use BeerSmith2 and the convert feature works great, except the color of the AG version is lighter. I rounded the numbers because they were slightly fractioned. But, any ideas?

Original Recipe:
6.6 lb - Briess Pilsner LME
1.0 lb - Briess Pale LME
1.0 lb - Flaked Maize
1.0 oz - Perle @ 60
1.0 oz - Liberty @ flameout
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale Yeast

BeerSmith Converted AG Recipe:
9.0 lb - 2-row Pils
1.0 lb - Flaked Corn
1.0 oz - Perle @ 60
1.0 oz - Liberty @ flameout
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale Yeast

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
Looks correct however I would double check your ibus. Since with all grain you'll be boiling with a higher volume you may have to adjust your hop volume to account for this.

OP
OP
Wreck99

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
Reaction score
Looks correct however I would double check your ibus. Since with all grain you'll be boiling with a higher volume you may have to adjust your hop volume to account for this.

Ok, that explains why it changed Perle addition from 1 oz to 0.68 oz. Thank you for double checking this for me.

Any idea why the color is that much different?

cream-ale-recipe-extract.jpg

cream-ale-recipe-ag.jpg

chickypad

lupulin shift victim
Reaction score
Extract brews, especially those with LME, will almost always be darker than the equivalent all grain recipe. Here's an article from Brad Smith that explains why.